Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com> on 2001/10/28 04:00:57 UTC

HTTPUtils.buildSocket broken for proxy over SSL

It appears that SOAP 2.2 will attempt to connect via SSL to the proxy server host and port from the "get go."  My understanding is that a regular HTTP connection needs to be opened first, with a connect command specifying the real host/port to communicate with, and then followed by an SSL session that is then tunneled by the proxy server.  This makes sense since the proxy server would not be able to understand the SSL connection otherwise, so it could not forward it to the real host outside the proxy.

I'm not sure how to fix the code, but since JSSE already supports proxies with the use of properties https.proxyHost and https.proxyPort, it makes sense that these perhaps could be used in conjunction with the proxy settings built into SOAPHTTPConnection.  Does anybody know if that should work, or is the problem more severe?  The idea would be for https proxying, those two properties would be set before calling the SSLUtils.buildSSLSocket so that JSSE would perhaps "do the right thing."  Thoughts?

Thanks,
David