Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vince Busam <vi...@busam.com> on 2003/04/21 20:33:45 UTC

Installation experience: tomcat 4.1.24, eclipse 2.1, sysdeo plugin

I installed tomcat under Redhat 9 from root and it worked right away, when I
started tomcat from root.

However to access admin and manager, I had to add roles to tomcat-users.xml.
I chose to add "manager,admin,administrator" to user tomcat.  I'm sure I
only need one of admin or administrator but wasn't sure which one.

SUGGESTION:  The default tomcat-users.xml include these roles or the
installation instruction be updated to suggest the user add them.

Next I tried the sysdeo plugin in eclipse and tried to start tomcat from the
eclipse toolbar.  At first it didn't work.  The problem was permissions on
the tomcat conf directory since I was running eclipse under my username, not
root.  In the process I also created an empty file conf/tomcat-users.xml.new
(not sure if this was necessary).

SUGGESTION:  The installation instructions point out that the permissions of
the conf directory need to be set to let any launching user to read/write
files in that directory.  If tomcat-users.xml.new is necessary, perhaps it
could be added to the installation.

Thanks to all the Tomcat developers for their wonderful work on this
project!