Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl> on 2010/12/02 16:28:51 UTC

Comet while migrating to Tomcat 7

Hello,

I'm trying Tomcat 7. The Comet classes have been moved from the org.apache.catalina package to the org.apache.catalina.comet package. That is fine by me. But for deployment reasons it would be easy if I can deploy the same war on Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7. In that way I don't need a turn-key upgrade of my Tomcat servers.

Is there a way to make it dynamic which package is used? Something like a Proxy or some other trick I don't know yet.
How do others do this?

Ronald.

Re: Comet while migrating to Tomcat 7

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
Op donderdag, 2 december 2010 20:37 schreef Pid <pi...@pidster.com>:>

> On 12/2/10 3:28 PM, Ronald Klop wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying Tomcat 7. The Comet classes have been moved from the
> > org.apache.catalina package to the org.apache.catalina.comet package.
> > That is fine by me. But for deployment reasons it would be easy if I can
> > deploy the same war on Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7. In that way I don't need a
> > turn-key upgrade of my Tomcat servers.
> >
> > Is there a way to make it dynamic which package is used? Something like
> > a Proxy or some other trick I don't know yet.
>
> This wouldn't require code changes?
>
> > How do others do this?
>
> Recompile, or produce two versions of the app.  :s

My problem is not changing the code, but I now have to maintain two versions of the code. One with import org.apache.catalina.CometProcessor and one with org.apache.catalina.comet.CometProcessor. And Eclipse has to resolve both of them.

Look. I can now choose to develop against Tomcat 7, but when I have a problem with it in production in a couple of weeks I would like to have the ability to switch back to Tomcat 6 easily.

Somehow we wil manage this, but I was wondering how other people are doing this migration. Maybe I'm missing something clever.

In the end I'm expected to switch to ServletRequest.doAsync(), or am I not?

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.