Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by "Srivastava, Rohit Kumar" <sr...@buckeyemail.osu.edu> on 2020/10/28 20:27:06 UTC

MXNet 3rdparty Licenses

Hi Justin,
     Thank you for bringing up missing LICENSE from 3rdparty dependencies in MXNet LICENSE.
Quick question: Is there a script or a proper mechanism to identify missing LICENSES whenever 3rdparty dependencies get updates so we are consistent with the guidelines provided here: https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html.

Doing this manually every time is not scalable and slows down the release process. It would be great if it can be automated.
Happy to hear your thoughts on this

-Rohit

Re: MXNet 3rdparty Licenses

Posted by sandeep krishnamurthy <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Justin for your inputs.

Thanks Rohit for extending your help to the MXNet community.

With the help of various community members, we are manually inspecting and
updating the license of all consumed 3rd party components.

--
Sandeep Krishnamurthy

Re: MXNet 3rdparty Licenses

Re: MXNet 3rdparty Licenses

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

>      Thank you for bringing up missing LICENSE from 3rdparty dependencies in MXNet LICENSE.
> Quick question: Is there a script or a proper mechanism to identify missing LICENSES whenever 3rdparty dependencies get updates so we are consistent with the guidelines provided here: https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html <https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html>.

No in general there is no automatic way of doing this. One way is to look at all of the copyright statements in the previous release and compare with the ones in the currently release, That can be be scriptable to some extent. But take care asoften scripts written to deal with licenses issues like this miss things manual inspection will catch.

> Doing this manually every time is not scalable and slows down the release process.

It’s best to correct these when the code is updated / new code added not at release time.

Thanks,
Justin