Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com> on 2002/12/27 07:23:40 UTC

SMTP error: James trying to relay?

I'm attempting to send a message to a yahoo account.  I'm getting this error.
Does this look right?

26/12/02 23:32:46 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Attempting delivery of Mail1040967105812-1-to-yahoo.com to host yahoo.com to addresses [stormzen@yahoo.com]
26/12/02 23:33:07 INFO  James.Mailet: RemoteDelivery: Temporary exception delivering mail (Mail1040967105812-1-to-yahoo.com: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: yahoo.com, port: 25;  nested exception is: 	java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
	at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:867)

Re: SMTP error: James trying to relay?

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Check the james-config.xml file and there will be a place in bold that
> asks you to enter your DNS servers.
>

>>(this really ought to be a top FAQ item... the DNS configuration stuff
>>is a bit buried in our FAQ at the moment).
>

> Do you want to modify FAQ.xml for it?

Well, I may but only after I get the answer right. :)

--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com

RE: SMTP error: James trying to relay?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Check the james-config.xml file and there will be a place in bold that
> asks you to enter your DNS servers.

> (this really ought to be a top FAQ item... the DNS configuration stuff
> is a bit buried in our FAQ at the moment).

Do you want to modify FAQ.xml for it?

	--- Noel

RE: SMTP error: James trying to relay?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > > Server:  cdm-208-1-69-bcst.cox-internet.com
> you worry me when you ask when DNS server changes...

The address he reports is the local IP assigned by his DHCP server from Cox
Internet.  So THAT address would be a poor choice for config.xml, since it
would change from time to time.

	--- Noel

Re: SMTP error: James trying to relay?

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.
I worry you?  hah... ( that question should show you my current level of expertise with DNS servers. )
Thanks again for your help.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Ok... that didn't work ( couldn't find yahoo.com. )
> Guess the XP DNS service is not a DNS server.

:-(  Yeah, I just tried it here.

 Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
 (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

 C:\Documents and Settings\noel>nslookup
 Default Server:  C0A80101.tipt.aol.com
 Address:  192.168.1.1

 > server 127.0.0.1
 Default Server:  [127.0.0.1]
 Address:  127.0.0.1

 > set q=mx
 > yahoo.com
 Server:  [127.0.0.1]
 Address:  127.0.0.1

 *** [127.0.0.1] can't find yahoo.com: No response from server

OK, that's one for Serge's FAQ item.  Windows, including XP, users
apparently should find the DNS servers for their ISP, and set those into
James.

	--- Noel

RE: SMTP error: James trying to relay?

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.
Not sure if this is exactly what you want me to do.
( but this should reflect how the local dns service is resolving the records for the email address that I want to send to, right? )
If it is resolving here, and my dns tag is set to 127.0.0.1, should James be able to get the information it needs to send it?

> set type=mx
> yahoo.com
Server:  cdm-208-1-69-bcst.cox-internet.com
Address:  208.180.1.69

Non-authoritative answer:
yahoo.com       MX preference = 1, mail exchanger = mx1.mail.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       MX preference = 1, mail exchanger = mx2.mail.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx4.mail.yahoo.com

yahoo.com       nameserver = ns4.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       nameserver = ns5.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       nameserver = ns1.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       nameserver = ns2.yahoo.com
yahoo.com       nameserver = ns3.yahoo.com
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 64.157.4.84
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 64.156.215.5
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 64.157.4.82
mx1.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 64.157.4.83
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 64.156.215.5
mx2.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 64.156.215.6
mx4.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 216.136.129.18
mx4.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 66.218.86.253
mx4.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 66.218.86.254
mx4.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 216.136.129.15
mx4.mail.yahoo.com      internet address = 216.136.129.17

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

RE: SMTP error ... problem solved

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Excellent.  So your localhost DNS wasn't properly relaying,  and your ISPs
DNS servers did the trick?  Excellent.  Good to know for future reference.

> I have found at least one way to receive mail for multiple domains.
> I would be interested in how you are doing it, however.

If you are taking everything and dumping it into one place, you can do it
your way.  I use JDBCVirtualUserTable to map from multiple domains.  You can
search the archives for previous messages on that subject.  :-)

	--- Noel

RE: SMTP error ... problem solved

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Attn: Noel & Serge:
Thanks so very much for your help.  I was at my wit's end trying to figure out the answer to this (apparently simple) puzzle:
Putting in my service provider's DNS servers worked.  127.0.0.1 didn't.  The servers I use for domain resolution also did not.

Thanks again for you help.

Noel: I have found at least one way to receive mail for multiple domains.  I would be interested in how you are doing it, however.
( I saw a message that you posted earlier to someone else. )

RE: SMTP error: James trying to relay?

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.
I'm using ns_.mydyndns.org for domain resolution (they inform me that they don't do recursive lookups, however, so I suspect it will do no good putting those name server addresses in as dns server entries.)  I'm trying to send email from sourceapprentice.com (not soulinstinct.com); running nslookup, I get the following for sourceapprentice.com.  ( It is the domain that the email is being sent TO that needs the MX resolution, right? -- I'm trying to send mail to a yahoo account: I posted that resolution in another email.)

The confusion is that (I assume) my local DNS service -- which is most likely accessing my service provider's DNS servers -- must be what is being used to resolve these addresses.  I have an entry for 127.0.0.1 for my dns server in the config.xml file.  What am I missing?

> set type=mx
> sourceapprentice.com
Server:  cdm-208-1-69-bcst.cox-internet.com
Address:  208.180.1.69

Non-authoritative answer:
sourceapprentice.com    MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = sourceapprentice.com

sourceapprentice.com    nameserver = ns3.mydyndns.org
sourceapprentice.com    nameserver = ns4.mydyndns.org
sourceapprentice.com    nameserver = ns5.mydyndns.org
sourceapprentice.com    nameserver = ns1.mydyndns.org
sourceapprentice.com    nameserver = ns2.mydyndns.org
sourceapprentice.com    internet address = 208.180.8.234
ns1.mydyndns.org        internet address = 66.151.188.45
ns5.mydyndns.org        internet address = 66.151.188.46

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Someone already wrote to say that THIS error is from not having DNS
setup correctly.  As you'll see in the stack trace, you are trying to

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.
How would I check that? ( by connecting to port 25 of another domain? )
I can connect to port 25 of my service provider... which I would expect, as they provide SMTP service.

Alternately, how can I check if it is an issue with the way I set up the DNS in the config file
(aside from it just not working?)

Is there a FAQ that answers these questions?

As always, thanks for your time.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "J. Norment" <jn...@soulinstinct.com>.

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.