Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/02 23:57:43 UTC

Re: [numbers] Making fractions VALJOs

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:52 AM Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>
wrote:

> The order of the static constants is also strange - I'm sure a more
> logical order could be chosen.

I have rearranged the constants into the order 0, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 2/3, 1/4,
3/4 . I propose dropping the constants
for fifths and negative one. One needs to draw the line somewhere
reasonable. Any objections?

Re: [numbers] Making fractions VALJOs

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 17:00:19 -0700, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> Second question, is there any reason not to use syntactic sugar for
> distinctions between "multiply" and "
> multpliedBy"? With the former being the suger, if the latter is a
> better
> standard.

Statement needs some reference before we embark on changing names
for longer ones.  Cf. my previous post:
   https://markmail.org/message/r5hxy5f4eduxp2vn

[If the rationale is "correct English", fine, but then all the
modules must be modified accordingly.]

> It seems like both sides of the fence can be easily bridged here.

IMO, syntactic sugar should be justified by more than sparing
4 keystrokes, especially if we want to induce usage of proper
spelling.

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Eric Barnhill <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 16:57:43 -0700, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 1:52 AM Stephen Colebourne
> <sc...@joda.org>
> wrote:
>

>> The order of the static constants is also strange - I'm sure a more
>> logical order could be chosen.
>>

> I have rearranged the constants into the order 0, 1, 1/2, 1/3, 2/3,
> 1/4,
> 3/4 . I propose dropping the constants
> for fifths and negative one. One needs to draw the line somewhere
> reasonable. Any objections?

I think that only "zero" and "one" should be kept: The rest
has no particular use or meaning within the component; better
leave them to the application layer, and keep this API lean.

Did you have a look at the updated description:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-74
?

Regards,
Gilles