Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/05 00:22:23 UTC

New release branch 2.1.0

Hello Kafka developers and users,

As promised in the release plan
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=91554044,
we now have a release branch for 2.1.0 release. Trunk will soon be bumped
to 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.

I'll be going over the JIRAs to move every non-blocker from this release to
the next release.

From this point, most changes should go to trunk. Blockers (existing and
new that we discover while testing the release) will be double-committed.
Please discuss with your reviewer whether your PR should go to trunk or to
trunk+release so they can merge accordingly.

Please help us test the release!

Thanks!
Dong

Re: New release branch 2.1.0

Posted by Tirtha Chatterjee <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi

When are we planning on releasing the bugfix version 2.0.1 ?

--
Regards
Tirtha Chatterjee

Re: New release branch 2.1.0

Posted by Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>.
Thanks Rajini for the PR review,

as agreed we have updated KIP-302 to match the code
so the new config value for the entry client.dns.lookup is
"use_all_dns_ips"

(underscores instead of dot separators)

Edoardo Comar

IBM Event Streams
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN

From:   Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>
To:     Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>, dev <de...@kafka.apache.org>
Cc:     "Skrzypek, Jonathan" <Jo...@gs.com>, Dong Lin
<li...@gmail.com>, Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>
Date:   11/10/2018 15:03
Subject:        Re: New release branch 2.1.0

Copying this discussion on the dev mailing list as well.

So the consensus was to use "_" instead of "." in the config values. Can
we update both the KIPs to reflect this?

As Dong has agreed for these two PRs to go into 2.1.0, I will review and
merge them to trunk and 2.1 once the PR builds complete.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:49 PM Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
Thanks Rajini!

Going to fix / rebase asap.

Commented on the Config in https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4485/files
and waiting for consensus on '.' vs '_' -

Maybe if you cast your vote, Rajini, you can break the tie , and gain one
friend and one foe :-)
cheers

From:        Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>
To:        Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Skrzypek, Jonathan" <Jo...@gs.com>, Edoardo Comar
<EC...@uk.ibm.com>, Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>
Date:        11/10/2018 12:11

Hi all,

I have reviewed both the DNS related PRs. They are both minor KIPs and not
particularly risky. There is a config naming inconsistency which needs to
be sorted out and build conflicts to be resolved (and a few minor comments
to be addressed). If all that is sorted out by tomorrow, then I can do
another review and merge both to 2.1.0 and trunk, ideally by tomorrow.

Regards,

Rajini

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:22 AM Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hi Jonathan/Dong,

I will review both the PRs today to see where we are.

Thanks,

Rajini

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Jonathan,

If these two PRs can be completed before Oct 15 (the Code Freeze date) and
Rajini thinks these two patches are safe to be committed, then we can
include them in the 2.1.0 release.

Thanks,
Dong

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 2:53 AM Skrzypek, Jonathan <
Jonathan.Skrzypek@gs.com> wrote:
Hi,

Could https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4485 be included in this
release ?
I see that https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4987 is in the list, but
the two KIPs are kind of linked to each other.

I also see that the client parameters in both jiras don't follow same
convention (KIP-235 goes with "." like most settings in
CommonClientConfig, whereas KIP-302 went for "_" as Rajini pointed out in
the PR).

I think both PRs should be merged or none, to avoid inconsistency issues
in a future release.

Jonathan Skrzypek

we now have a release branch for 2.1.0 release. Trunk will soon be bumped
to 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.

I'll be going over the JIRAs to move every non-blocker from this release
to the next release.

From this point, most changes should go to trunk. Blockers (existing and
new that we discover while testing the release) will be double-committed.
Please discuss with your reviewer whether your PR should go to trunk or to
trunk+release so they can merge accordingly.

Please help us test the release!

Thanks!
Dong

________________________________

Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that
may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we
use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our
legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact,
please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<
http://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.