Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Frank Zammetti <fz...@hotmail.com> on 2004/09/09 18:05:03 UTC

Struts Web Service Enablement Project .03 now available

I just wanted to let everyone know that version .03 of the Struts Web
Services Enablement Project has just been released.  I hadn't done much on
it in a while, but a couple of people said they were actually using it (or
thinking about using it), so I felt obligated to continue it to at least
some extent.

You can get all the details and the download at
http://www.omnytex.com/strutsws

For those of you that have not heard about it before... This project is a
small little thing I put together that allows you to expose parts of a
Struts-based application as Web Services without any changes to the existing
code.  It's got a number of limitations, but does work and is actually
useful in some cases (I am currently using it in a large production app at
work with a lot of success).

When I started the project, I had a grandiose idea of this being an
all-encompassing method for everyone to use in all WS situations, but after
the feedback I've recieved and thinking about it more and actually using it
myself, I've come to the conclusion that it's never going to suit all needs
no matter how far I take it.  However, I think it is still a good solution
in some cases, sometimes even an ideal approach (i.e., an existing app is
probably the best candidate).

It also can prove to be a very quick and easy way for a developer familiar
with Struts to get going with WS without being overly concerned with all the
intricacies that go along with them.

In any case, it's out there if anyone is interested.

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
www.omnytex.com