Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> on 2009/09/08 22:09:48 UTC

Review of cassandra NOTICE and LICENSE requested.

Attached are draft copies of LICENSE and NOTICE files for the cassandra
project.

LICENSE is monolithic, it contains a copy of all licenses. It is meant
to replace the texts we currently keep in lib/licenses.

NOTICE contains an entry for all the third-party libraries in our tree
(in so much as that information is available).

It would be great if we could get these reviewed ahead of time so that
any feedback could be incorporated before the next release vote.

Thanks in advance,

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com

Re: Review of cassandra NOTICE and LICENSE requested.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.
On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 17:23 +0100, sebb wrote:
> > We have a source and binary distribution with the same NOTICE and
> >  LICENSE texts in both artifacts. While we don't want/need to ship
> the
> >  junit jar in the binary distribution (see CASSANDRA-417), shipping
> it in
> >  the source artifact is intentional.
> >

> That's not normal; the source artifact should only contain files which
> are in SVN and the JUnit jar should not be in SVN. This is
> particularly true since you are using Maven which will fetch any
> required dependencies when doing a build.

The pom.xml file was added at the request of a user; I wouldn't
characterize us a "Maven project", (I for example do not use it).

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/09/2009, Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 22:28 +0100, sebb wrote:
>  > Does the release actually *include* JUnit, or is that only used for
>  > testing? If so, then it should not be the in the NOTICE file, nor in
>  > the binary release.
>

> We have a source and binary distribution with the same NOTICE and
>  LICENSE texts in both artifacts. While we don't want/need to ship the
>  junit jar in the binary distribution (see CASSANDRA-417), shipping it in
>  the source artifact is intentional.

That's not normal; the source artifact should only contain files which
are in SVN and the JUnit jar should not be in SVN. This is
particularly true since you are using Maven which will fetch any
required dependencies when doing a build.

>  > Is ANTLR actually needed at run-time, or is it only needed for
>  > building the code?
>

> It's only used to build.
>

>  > I'm not sure whether it needs to be mentioned in NOTICE if it is only
>  > used at build-time.
>

> I had thought it was needed when redistributing code with the terms that
>  require it (and as far as I know, that's only Apache License 2.0). I was
>  told on this list (repeatedly), that I was wrong. Now I'm just confused.
>  Again.
>

>  > It should not be in the binary release if it's not needed at run-time.
>

> Agreed (CASSANDRA-417), but again, shipping a copy in the source
>  artifact is intentional, (hence the entries in NOTICE and LICENSE).

Same as for JUnit.

>  > The NOTICE file mentions SLF4J, which AIUI is a logging abstraction -
>  > does the binary release include a logging implementation? If so, it
>  > will need to be documented in the LICENSE and NOTICE.
>

> We use log4j for logging, but we require/ship thrift which in turn
>  requires slf4j.
>

>  > >  It would be great if we could get these reviewed ahead of time so
>  > that
>  > >  any feedback could be incorporated before the next release vote.
>  >
>  > It's not possible to be definitive about the files without knowing
>  > what libraries are actually going to be included in the binary
>  > release.
>

> There haven't been any changes since the last review, (see
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cassandra/trunk/lib).

I would not expect to see any jars in SVN for a Maven project.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@rackspace.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/09/2009, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:28 PM, sebb<se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Does the release actually *include* JUnit, or is that only used for testing?
>> > If so, then it should not be the in the NOTICE file, nor in the binary release.
>>
>> Even if it is not in the release I believe there is nothing wrong with
>>  putting an acknowledgment in the NOTICE file. (putting terms in the
>>  LICENSE file that do not apply is bad, though).
>
> I think it's confusing, and NOTICE is supposed to be as minimal as possible.

For the record, I was wrong, and here's the policy statement that
confirms what Sebb said:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#notice-content

"What Content Is Appropriate For The NOTICE File?

Read [http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice].

Only mandatory information required by the product's software
licenses. Not suitable for normal documentation."

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Review of cassandra NOTICE and LICENSE requested.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.