Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vladimir Sorokin <vo...@strigo.io> on 2023/02/09 14:33:00 UTC

Guacamole RDP shared connection load

Hi,
We encountered performance issues for shared RDP connection with 150+ users
on the same connection.
We have a custom guacamole application that consists of multiple docker
glyptodon/guacd:2.8.1 (we intend to align and use latest
guacamole/guacd:1.4), multiple guacamole-common:1.4 proxy servers, and
guacamole-client:1.2.
We have a scenario with a shared RDP connection, where only one user
(presenter) has write privileges and others only read only.
We've been using this setup for years without a problem with shared
connections with up to 100 users, and only recently have we encountered
performance problems for shared connection with 150+ users.
We monitored the underlying AWS ec2 machines' resource usage (CPU, memory,
network), and it does not appear that the resource usage is out of the
baseline, so it does not look like the problem originates in the resource
usage.
On the shared connection, the user with the write privileges presents some
desktop application, nothing graphical, CPU, or network heavy. The network
connection for the presenter seems stable.
And yet, the presenter experiences significant lag on every action -
clicks, cursor movement, etc.
Could there be a performance limit for the maximum number of users per
shared connection?
We intend to execute a load test to confirm, but maybe there are other
directions that we should look at?

Thanks

--
Vladimir Sorokin
Developer

Re: Guacamole RDP shared connection load

Posted by Vladimir Sorokin <vo...@strigo.io>.
Hi Mike, probably so, but due to large amount of participants can't confirm
it.
Is there a way to identify this slowdown to confirm the theory?
Is there a way to avoid slowdown, like setting the baseline for the
performance for the shared connection?
Or is there a way to identify a slow client, so maybe we'll be able to drop
it in favor of performance for the majority?

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.