Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Mark W. Shadle" <ja...@telocity.com> on 2001/07/23 03:57:03 UTC

Tomcat and Ports...

I am trying to finish the last few configurations for my set up and was
wondering if there was a way to set up Tomcat so I don't have to put
Tomcat's port in the URL when accessing a servlet???

TIA,
Mark Shadle

--
   Mark W. Shadle - mark@s-e-s.com
      Senior Software Engineer

Re: Tomcat and Ports...

Posted by BillWorker 2i Development Team <bi...@info.com.np>.
A less secure way of doing it is to run Tomcat as root user. Then Linux
allows you to change the tomcat's port to 80. You can change the port of
tomcat by modifying server.xml file.

In Win98 and WinNT I believe you can just modify server.xml.

The server.xml file is in conf directory.

--
BillWorker 2i Development Team,
Infocom Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

Re: Tomcat and Ports...

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
by tomcat's port you mean 8080?  the commonly accepted way of using tomcat
is to have a web server such as apache in front of it serving static
pages.  Apache then uses tomcat to handle any requests for jsps or
servlets.  Apache is of course normally listening on port 80 which is the
default http so you can omit it from your request url.  Have a look at the
tomcat-apache and mod_jk docs in the tomcat distribution.

cheesr
dim