Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com> on 2012/08/14 20:05:30 UTC

Falcon location

I'd like to start a discussion of where Falcon will live in the Apache repository.

The initial donation will be an Eclipse project and Ant scripts for building Falcon itself. Later we will donate another Eclipse project and Ant scripts for testing Falcon

Although it is Java code, I don't think it should go into trunk/modules with the older compiler. It would be confusing to have a bunch of subdirectories in trunk/modules, some of which are for the old compiler and some of which are for the new compiler. So I propose that the two Falcon projects live inside trunk/falcon.

Like the old compiler, Falcon is tied closely to the Flex framework because of the semantics of MXML. Therefore, I think Falcon belongs initially "inside" Flex, like the old compiler was inside Flex. Eventually, it would be interesting to try break many of these dependencies and let Falcon become its own project independent of the framework, but I see that as longer-term evolution.

- Gordon

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
> On 8/14/12 11:16 AM, "Roland Zwaga" <ro...@stackandheap.com> wrote:
>
>>> Gordon
>>>
>>> What you think under trunck/falcon ?
>>>

>> trunk/falcon sounds reasonable to me as well.
>>
>> Roland
>
> Putting falcon under trunk means it will likely need to be blocked from the
> next release as I don't think falcon will be ready with MXML support in a
> couple of months.

Aha, so you're implying that it should first be imported in a branch then?
I hadn't thought about the release schedule actually, makes sense now...

Re: Falcon location

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jeff, that's why I think we should have for each distinct project a trunk /
branches /tags folder (thanks Carol for pointing out). So If we get Falcon
donated, it doesn't have to fit within the SDK and we don't need to worry
the fact it's incomplete and don't get a "instable" trunk.

João Fernandes

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 8/14/2012 2:16 PM, Roland Zwaga wrote:
>> Gordon
>>
>> What you think under trunck/falcon ?
>>
> trunk/falcon sounds reasonable to me as well.
>
> Roland

  As I understood it; the trunk is, essentially, working code for the
existing Flex SDK.  Since Falcon is not yet integrated as part of the
Flex SDK; I'm not sure how much sense doing the initial commit into the
trunk makes.

  My impulse is to put it in some place that is currently separate from
other sources.

  Perhaps in a directory (Falcon) that is at the same level as trunk.
  Or perhaps in a whiteboard, or branch, that is specific to Falcon.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Igor Costa <ig...@gmail.com>.
Gordon

What you think under trunck/falcon ?

Regards
----------------------------
Igor Costa
www.igorcosta.com
www.igorcosta.org

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 8/14/12 11:05 AM, "Gordon Smith" <go...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to start a discussion of where Falcon will live in the Apache
> > repository.
> >
> > The initial donation will be an Eclipse project and Ant scripts for
> building
> > Falcon itself. Later we will donate another Eclipse project and Ant
> scripts
> > for testing Falcon
> >
> > Although it is Java code, I don't think it should go into trunk/modules
> with
> > the older compiler. It would be confusing to have a bunch of
> subdirectories in
> > trunk/modules, some of which are for the old compiler and some of which
> are
> > for the new compiler. So I propose that the two Falcon projects live
> inside
> > trunk/falcon.
> >
> > Like the old compiler, Falcon is tied closely to the Flex framework
> because of
> > the semantics of MXML. Therefore, I think Falcon belongs initially
> "inside"
> > Flex, like the old compiler was inside Flex. Eventually, it would be
> > interesting to try break many of these dependencies and let Falcon
> become its
> > own project independent of the framework, but I see that as longer-term
> > evolution.
> >
> > - Gordon
> >
> FWIW, keep in mind we also expect TLF to get VP signature this week as well
> and BlazeDS is in progress.  IMO, All three are standalone entities and
> should have top-level project status.  I don't know how hard it is to move
> the current trunk into an directory called sdk, but that would be my first
> choice as in, when you go here:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/

Well, if we were using Git, we could just move it, commit and be done.
(Sorry, I had to! hehe, I'm just teasing here)

> You currently see:
>     branches
>     external
>     import2
>     site
>     tags
>     trunk
>     utilities
>     whiteboard
>
> And I would like us to have:
>     blazeds
>     external
>     falcon
>     import2
>     site
>     tlf
>     sdk
>         branches <-- these 3 are moved down from the top level
>         tags
>         trunk
>     utilities
>     whiteboard
>
> I'm not sure now is the right time to be moving trunk so I'd be willing to
> live with some inconsistency right now and just have
>     blazeds
>     branches
>     external
>     falcon
>     import2
>     site
>     tags
>     tlf
>     trunk <-- this is the current top-level trunk
>     utilities
>     whiteboard
>
> Thoughts?
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

I would opt for the second choice, leave trunk along and add /falcon etc.

-omar

Re: rearrangement of https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex (was Re: Falcon location)

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Gordon Smith wrote:

> I like your lowercase names better. (sdk rather than SDK, etc.)
>
> - Gordon

+1 to lowercase names. :)

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
You're showing the contents of incubator/flex, right?

Posted by Jeff Conrad <je...@gmail.com>.
Awesome!

When this happens, can it be set up so there are multiple read-only git
mirrors / repositories at that point?  i.e. flex-sdk, flex-blazeds,
flex-falcon, flex-tlf, flex-utilities, etc.?

Jeff

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, that helps!  I believe you when you say that the overhead is going
to be low.  That is what I care about.

Regards,
Om

RE: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
Falcon is tied to the SDK, the text components in the SDK are tied to TLF, the networking classes in the SDK are clients of BlazeDS, etc. Flex is an ecosystem that all works together and you can't just mix-and-match any version of one part with any version of another part.

But I now agree with Alex and others that the various subparts need to be able to evolve independently rather than all being in a single trunk.

So that means we need some way of tying them all together in order to test, or in order to produce a "here's everything you need" release, and I don't think we're clear on how that might work. But I'm sure we can figure something out.

- Gordon

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
> I am sorry if I sound like I dont support modularity.   But that is not
> what I am saying here.  By Gordon's (who is probably the only person on
> this list who knows the Falcon codebase) own admission, Falcon is tied
> closely to the Flex framework because of the semantics of MXML.
Falcon is only tied to the Flex framework because the current code took the
approach of trying to generate the same sdk-version-dependent generated code
that MXMLC does today.  MXMLC could also be changed to generate something
less version-dependent.

> But, until that level of separation is achieved, how can I as a developer
> make sure that Falcon works with the current sdk that I want to ship in the
> next release?
If you switch out MXMLC for Falcon and all mustella tests pass, you are good
to go.

> I keep seeing the word 'eventually'.  All I am saying is, in that eventual
> case, lets make Falcon a top level project.  There is nothing preventing
> anyone from modularizing and separating the concerns of Falcon while still
> under modules/falcon.  But the other way round, making Falcon a top level
> project prevents me from working with it in the short term.
I don't follow your logic.  Your installer is not in the sdk tree but you
are certainly able to work on it.

> Alex:
>> Yes, there is a bit more overhead, but is should be worth it.
>>

> How do we know if it is worth it if we don't know what exactly the overhead
> is?
Falcon compiles out to a set of jars just like modules does today.  There is
little overhead.

> No one has proposed a workflow to working with Falcon as a top-level
> project yet.
That's because the way it was worked on in Adobe will be different than the
way it is worked on in Apache.  As with all prior donations, the goal was to

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
<om...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > IMO, you are arguing against the principle of modularity and/or
> separation
> > of concerns.  Yes, there is a bit more overhead, but is should be worth
> it.
> > You voted for a much more complex branching strategy supposedly in favor
> of
> > modularity.  I'm surprised you are pushing back on it here.
> >
> > --
> > Alex Harui
> > Flex SDK Team
> > Adobe Systems, Inc.
> > http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui
> >

> This ^^^.
>
> -omar

I am sorry if I sound like I dont support modularity.   But that is not
what I am saying here.  By Gordon's (who is probably the only person on
this list who knows the Falcon codebase) own admission, Falcon is tied
closely to the Flex framework because of the semantics of MXML.  I agree
that this is not a good thing. I agree that this should be changed.

But, until that level of separation is achieved, how can I as a developer
make sure that Falcon works with the current sdk that I want to ship in the
next release?

I keep seeing the word 'eventually'.  All I am saying is, in that eventual
case, lets make Falcon a top level project.  There is nothing preventing
anyone from modularizing and separating the concerns of Falcon while still
under modules/falcon.  But the other way round, making Falcon a top level
project prevents me from working with it in the short term.

Alex:
> Yes, there is a bit more overhead, but is should be worth it.

How do we know if it is worth it if we don't know what exactly the overhead
is?  No one has proposed a workflow to working with Falcon as a top-level
project yet.

Whereas, I am proposing a workflow which is to keep Falcon under modules
and create a separate branch where this would be the main feature.  Anyone
who wants to work with Falcon can simply switch to that feature branch.
Convince me why this is not a better idea.  The only reason against it so
far is: "it will be confusing".  Why is this confusing?

Thanks,
Om

RE: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
> This ^^^.

???

- Gordon

> IMO, you are arguing against the principle of modularity and/or
> separation of concerns.  Yes, there is a bit more overhead, but is should be worth it.
> You voted for a much more complex branching strategy supposedly in
> favor of modularity.  I'm surprised you are pushing back on it here.
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

This ^^^.

-omar

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

> IMO, you are arguing against the principle of modularity and/or separation
> of concerns.  Yes, there is a bit more overhead, but is should be worth it.
> You voted for a much more complex branching strategy supposedly in favor of
> modularity.  I'm surprised you are pushing back on it here.
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

This ^^^.

-omar

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
While I have no problem naming the directory flex/falcon I do understand
Om's concern that it is a code name that people may not know.
flex/newcompiler isn't very pretty.

Carol

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 15, 2012 9:07 AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 8/15/12 12:51 AM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> in
> >>>
> >> I think we eventually want to break the compiler's ties to a specific
> >> version of the SDK.  That gives it a better chance to be incorporated
into
> >> IDEs and used for other things like code models, and to be used as a
front
> >> end to FalconJS.
> >>

> > MXML is a feature of the Flex SDK.  How can we ship Falcon without the
Flex
> > SDK?  Who would be using it?
> It is the other way around.  We should have the flexibility to deliver
> Falcon separately from the SDK.  The commercial tool vendors shouldn't
have
> to re-integrate Falcon every time we cut a new release of the SDK.  That
is
> why they cannot leverage MXMLC in the IDEs other than strictly as the SWF
> compiler.

I agree that it is the way to go in the long run.  But, from Gordon's
description, it does not sound like Falcon its anywhere close to achieving
this.  In the short term, making it a top level project creates a barrier
that  would prevent people contributing to it.  Which in turn would delay
the eventual goal of making a separate release of Falcon.

> > In the long term, it probably makes sense to move it a top level
project,
> > but in the short term having it outside of the current flex sdk folder
> > structure will make it extremely difficult to work with.  No one has
> > answered Gordon's question:
> >
> > If Flex has independent subprojects like SDK, Falcon, TLF, etc., how
would
> >> we tie them all together to do testing? With environment variables
that say
> >> "use this branch of the SDK, this branch of Falcon, this branch of TLF,
> >> etc."?
> >>

> > This sounds like a nightmare.  Scenarios like these are the reasons why
> > having feature branches makes sense.  Isnt this what we all discussed in
> > great detail in the "branching thread"?
> Features of a single deliverable like the SDK.  But I think Falcon should
be
> thought of as a separate sub-project.  TLF as well.  Both Falcon and TLF
can
> be involved in SWFs without any other SDK code in it.

Is there any reason why we can't do the same while having Falcon inside the
modules directory?  Once we achieve this goal, we can move it out to a
separate project.

> > Yet another issue I raised that has not been addressed:
> >
> > As I see it, Falcon is a codename for a new version of the compiler.  We
> >> are mixing functional names like "asc" and "compiler" with codenames
like
> >> "falcon".  What happens when we want to build a new version of
actionscript
> >> compiler after falcon?  We dont want to have that existing alongside
with
> >> another codename as well.
> >>
> I'm not understanding.  The proposed folder structure has "sub-project"
> names at the top.  I don't see folders called 'asc' or 'compiler'

Gordon mentioned that Falcon replaces the ' legacy compiler'  which are the
projects asc and compiler.   This means that once Falcon proves itself, we
would make the switch and get rid of the legacy ones.

Retaining the name 'Falcon' at that point would only cause confusion.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 8/14/12 10:51 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I dint see a strong reason for Falcon to be a top level project anywhere
> in
> > this thread.
> >
> I think we eventually want to break the compiler's ties to a specific
> version of the SDK.  That gives it a better chance to be incorporated into
> IDEs and used for other things like code models, and to be used as a front
> end to FalconJS.

MXML is a feature of the Flex SDK.  How can we ship Falcon without the Flex
SDK?  Who would be using it?

This is Gordon's original comment and I agree with it:

Like the old compiler, Falcon is tied closely to the Flex framework because
> of the semantics of MXML. Therefore, I think Falcon belongs initially
> "inside" Flex, like the old compiler was inside Flex. Eventually, it would
> be interesting to try break many of these dependencies and let Falcon
> become its own project independent of the framework, but I see that as
> longer-term evolution.

In the long term, it probably makes sense to move it a top level project,
but in the short term having it outside of the current flex sdk folder
structure will make it extremely difficult to work with.  No one has
answered Gordon's question:

If Flex has independent subprojects like SDK, Falcon, TLF, etc., how would
> we tie them all together to do testing? With environment variables that say
> "use this branch of the SDK, this branch of Falcon, this branch of TLF,
> etc."?

This sounds like a nightmare.  Scenarios like these are the reasons why
having feature branches makes sense.  Isnt this what we all discussed in
great detail in the "branching thread"?

Yet another issue I raised that has not been addressed:

As I see it, Falcon is a codename for a new version of the compiler.  We
> are mixing functional names like "asc" and "compiler" with codenames like
> "falcon".  What happens when we want to build a new version of actionscript
> compiler after falcon?  We dont want to have that existing alongside with
> another codename as well.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
The thread was continued as "Rearrangement of ... Flex". Did you read that one too? In any case, I think the discussion can continue and perhaps you will persuade people. But my initial post explained why I don't think it belongs in 'modules', and no one else has wanted it there.

 - Gordon

Sent from my iPad

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Om wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Gordon Smith <gosmith@adobe.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > A large majority of people replying to this thread favor SDK, Falcon,
> TLF,
> > BlazeDS, etc. being quasi-independent sub projects within the overall
> Flex
> > project, so that's what Carol is planning for.
> >

> I think we should discuss this further at the end of which a vote should be
> taken.  I don't think we are done discussing this yet to make this change.
>
> I dint see a strong reason for Falcon to be a top level project anywhere in
> this thread.
>
> Thanks,
> Om

We don't have to vote on every little thing I form a consensus. At this
point you're the only one not in agreement, if I've followed the thread
thoroughly.

-omar

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

RE: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
> Falcon is a new version of the Actionscript compiler.

Falcon is a reimplementation of mxmlc and compc. The AS support is very good. (It will ship as FB 4.7.) The MXML support is incomplete but Falcon can compile the framework test file Checkinapp.mxml.

> Does it support mxml as well?  Or would that be a separate top level project?

See above.

> What do we call the compiler that is currently inside trunk?

I call it "the legacy compiler".

> If falcon gets a new top level project, shouldnt the current compiler get its own top level project?

I don't have an opinion on that. I hope the old compiler dies as soon as possible.

> Does Falcon work with exisiting flex sdk?

It 's intended to eventually, but it's not yet ready to compile and run all SDK SWCs and tests yet.

> If I create new components inside incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/, should I worry about who Falcon will work with it?  How would I set up my project in that case?

Unless you want to contribute to Falcon, you shouldn't worry about it. At some point, if it becomes a suitable replacement for the legacy compiler, we will switch over and everything should just work the same.

> Should I have copies of my new components in both incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/ and incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk/ to run both Mustella tests and Falcon's tests?

No; incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk will be only for Falcon's Java code. No framework components will live there.

>  Does Falcon share any code with Falcon JS?

Yes, it shares a front end (lexer/parser/symbol table). FalconJS and Falcon have different back ends (code generators). FalconJS is not ready for donation.

> If yes, how might we want to change the repo structure if/when FalconJS is contributed to Apache Flex?

We can figure that out when FalconJS is ready, but I think making it a sibling of Falcon would be best. It could share Falcon's front end just by putting Falcon's JAR on its classpath.

- Gordon

Sorry for jumping late into this thread, but I am not sure what exactly Falcon is at this point.  I was hoping that you would post some wiki pages about what exactly Falcon is.  There is very little public information about Falcon (that I could google)

>From what I understand (please correct me if I am wrong), Falcon is a new version of the Actionscript compiler.
Does it support mxml as well?  Or would that be a separate top level project?
What do we call the compiler that is currently inside trunk?
If falcon gets a new top level project, shouldnt the current compiler get its own top level project?
Does Falcon work with exisiting flex sdk?  If I create new components inside incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/, should I worry about who Falcon will work with it?  How would I set up my project in that case?
Should I have copies of my new components in both incubator/flex/SDK/trunk/ and incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk/ to run both Mustella tests and Falcon's tests?
(Thinking ahead) Does Falcon share any code with Falcon JS?  If yes, how might we want to change the repo structure if/when FalconJS is contributed to Apache Flex?

Sorry, if some of these questions sound stupid.  But we will be able to make a better judgement of where it should go if we knew some more details.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> To me that sounds like a kludge with little benefit and presumably worse performance than either compiler by itself.
Fair enough.

> I take it that you are unhappy with the decision to compile MXML directly to ABC
No as such but I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

> What is the main problem that you use -keep to solve?
So we can use Falcon now and hopefully gain some benefit from it. Not having worked on Falcon or seen the code I:
a) have no idea if my suggestion is possible
b) would give any improvements

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Gordon Smith wrote:

> Even without FC (which I would forget about), don't you find it easier to
> skin in MXML because of its support for states? I am not concerned about
> making Falcon able to compile MXML skins. They are less complicated than
> MXML apps.
>
> - Gordon
>
> Sent from my iPad

 Agreed. I was just making the point that we should forget about FC.

-omar

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/14/12 10:39 PM, "Omar Gonzalez" <om...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Alex Harui wrote:

> Being one of the strongest proponents of FC (I am in the promo video on the
> product page :P ) Should we even consider that tool for anything? It's EOL,
> why would we not do something like make AS skins instead of MXML to
> preserve FC support?
>
> -omar
MXML is easier to create tools for, and for people to learn and code.
That's why Mustella tests are in MXML, to support eventual tools and make it
easier for QA.  If we're very lucky, some FC-like thing will be created by
the Apache Flex community and/or by one of the tooling vendors.

The basic premise of FC is still compelling, but the actual implementation
had its challenges.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
As I've explained a few times, Falcon already has substantial support for MXML. For example, it can compile Checkinapp, one of the SDK's test apps, except for the Repeater tag in it. I encourage people to help me finish Falcon so that it can replace the legacy compiler ASAP. The first thing you can do to help after donation is to try Falcon on your own MXML apps, find what doesn't work properly, reduce the problem to a simple test case, and file a bug. I'll be happy to prioritize the bugs that get the most votes. But I'll be happier if people start learning how Falcon works and pitch in to help me fix the remaining weak spots. Falcon has a lot of Javadoc which I think you'll find very helpful.

- Gordon

Sent from my iPad

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think Justin's looking for a stop gap solution for compiling MXML with
> Falcon.
100% correct.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Gordon Smith wrote:

> Hi, Justin.
>
> To me that sounds like a kludge with little benefit and presumably worse
> performance than either compiler by itself. I take it that you are unhappy
> with the decision to compile MXML directly to ABC, for maximum performance,
> if it means losing -keep? If so, you could work on a alternate compilation
> path for MXML in Falcon that involved either real or fake (i.e., not
> actually compiled) AS. What is the main problem that you use -keep to
> solve? Perhaps Falcon's option that displays MXML syntax trees could be
> another solution for you.
>
> - Gordon
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 14, 2012, at 6:26 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Falcon right now is an ActionScript compiler with limited MXML support,
> so
> >> right now you can't simply change the old compiler by the new one.
> >
> > Probably some reason to why we cant do this but couldn't we use the
> current compiler to turn MXML into AS (-keep of top of head) and then use
> Falcon to compile that AS?
> >
> > Justin

I think Justin's looking for a stop gap solution for compiling MXML with
Falcon. At least that's what I read from it.

-omar

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
Hi, Justin.

To me that sounds like a kludge with little benefit and presumably worse performance than either compiler by itself. I take it that you are unhappy with the decision to compile MXML directly to ABC, for maximum performance, if it means losing -keep? If so, you could work on a alternate compilation path for MXML in Falcon that involved either real or fake (i.e., not actually compiled) AS. What is the main problem that you use -keep to solve? Perhaps Falcon's option that displays MXML syntax trees could be another solution for you.

- Gordon

Sent from my iPad

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Falcon location

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
Om,

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Gordon,

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 8/14/12 3 :43PM, "Gordon Smith" <go...@adobe.com> wrote:

>It seems like the momentum is for
>
>incubator/flex
>incubator/flex/SDK
>incubator/flex/SDK/trunk
>incubator/flex/SDK/branches
>incubator/flex/SDK/tags
>incubator/flex/SDK/whiteboard
>incubator/flex/Falcon
>incubator/flex/Falcon/trunk
>incubator/flex/Falcon/branches
>incubator/flex/Falcon/tags
>incubator/flex/Falcon/whiteboard
>incubator/flex/TLF
>incubator/flex/TLF/trunk
>incubator/flex/TLF/branches
>incubator/flex/TLF/tags
>incubator/flex/TLF/whiteboard
>
>Should the SDK directory be called Framework instead? To me, the SDK is
>something that would be produced at the incubator/flex level from all the
>subprojects.

I'd say no because there are already too many framework(s) directories
under trunk.  We'd have framework/frameworks/projects/framework.

Carol

RE: Falcon location

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> I'm planning to reorganize svn on Thursday AM (EDT) as follows:
>
> site
> external
> falcon
>     branches
>     tags
>     trunk
>     whiteboard
> blazeds
>     branches
>     tags
>     trunk
>     whiteboard
> sdk
>     branches
>     tags
>     trunk
>     whiteboard
> tlf
>     branches
>     tags
>     trunk
>     whiteboard
> utilities
>     branches
>     tags
>     trunk
>     whiteboard
>

> and delete import2 left over from one of the imports from Adobe
>
> Carol

This structure looks good to me and I think is ideal in SVN.

-omar

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 8/14/2012 2:35 PM, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 except remove projects directory and put each project at top-level and
>> add tags subdirectory under each project
>>

> +1, I like Carol's suggestion with João's structure.

  I could get behind that.  My impulse is to keep the projects
directory; but add the tags subdirectory on each project.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>...you may want to still have a top level whiteboard directory with sub
> directories (falcon, blazeds, sdk etc)  rather than one under each project ...

I agree, no need for any rigid structure in whiteboard IMO - it's just
a playground.

-Bertrand

Re: rearrangement of https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex (was Re: Falcon location)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I'm planning to reorganize svn on Thursday AM (EDT) as follows:

Structure looks good me. Although you may want to still have a top level whiteboard directory with sub directories (falcon, blazeds, sdk etc)  rather than one under each project so you one need to look in one spot for whiteboards. I don't have a strong option re this, just a suggestion and  either way is fine.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: rearrangement of https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex (was Re: Falcon location)

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Carol,

We are still discussing the Falcon location in the other thread.  Can you
please hold off on making this change until we finish?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 8/18/12 2:22 AM, "Cyrill Zadra" <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What has to be done, that the github repository get synced with the new
> flex structure? Or is this task already in progress?
Hopefully the folks setting up Git for Apache Flex will also deal with this.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: rearrangement of https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex (was Re: Falcon location)

Posted by Cyrill Zadra <cy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> As a result of the svn reorg, the svn URL on this page needs to be updated
> [1].  There may be other places as well.  Any links to the README out
> there also have to be updated.
>
> If I edit the page under site what else do I have to do to make it live.
> Unfortunately I've only half paid attention to the site stuff so I think
> it has to be "pushed" or something to have changes show up.

1.  Go to https://cms.apache.org/
2.  Sign in
3.  Search for 'Flex'
4.  Click on 'Publish flex site' link
5.  Click Submit button.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.
Nick,

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
why not
site
external
projects
>>> SDK
     >>> branches
     >>> trunk
     >>> whiteboard
>>> Falcon
     >>> branches
     >>> trunk
     >>> whiteboard
>>> BlazeDS
     >>> branches
     >>> trunk
     >>> whiteboard
>>> Utilities
     >>> branches
     >>> trunk
     >>> whiteboard
>>> TLF
     >>> branches
     >>> trunk
     >>> whiteboard
>>>blazeds
     >>> branches
     >>> trunk
     >>> whiteboard

So each project can have different releases. Right now there are probably a

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> And I would like us to have:
>     blazeds
>     external
>     falcon
>     import2
>     site
>     tlf
>     sdk
>         branches <-- these 3 are moved down from the top level
>         tags
>         trunk
>     utilities
>     whiteboard
>
> I'm not sure now is the right time to be moving trunk so I'd be willing to
> live with some inconsistency right now and just have
>     blazeds
>     branches
>     external
>     falcon
>     import2
>     site
>     tags
>     tlf
>     trunk <-- this is the current top-level trunk
>     utilities
>     whiteboard

I'd be fine with either of those approaches.

Re: Falcon location

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 14 August 2012 19:34, Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com> wrote:

> If Flex has independent subprojects like SDK, Falcon, TLF, etc., how would
> we tie them all together to do testing? With environment variables that say
> "use this branch of the SDK, this branch of Falcon, this branch of TLF,
> etc."?
>
> - Gordon

I think it should be better doing something like that instead of having
dependent  projects otherwise we'll never be able to have "independent"
projects with their own pace of development.
--

João Fernandes

RE: Falcon location

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
> [...]

>    falcon
>    import2
>    site
>    tlf
>    sdk
>        branches <-- these 3 are moved down from the top level
>        tags
>        trunk
>    utilities
>    whiteboard
>
>I'm not sure now is the right time to be moving trunk so I'd be willing
>to live with some inconsistency right now and just have
>    blazeds
>    branches
>    external
>    falcon
>    import2
>    site
>    tags
>    tlf
>    trunk <-- this is the current top-level trunk

Regardless of whether falcon is top-level or under trunk, I think now is as good a time as any to go for your "I would like us to have" scenario since TLF will be arriving shortly.  This is a very common Apache layout pattern.  import2 should be deleted.

I think it is confusing if the branches and tags that apply to trunk are lost in the list.  I am going to have to add a tags directory to the utilities directory when we release the Install tool (but I see there is a problem already in that directory structure since there are 3 directories under utilities that will all need to be tagged).

Carol

Re: Falcon location

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Re: Falcon location