Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander Diedler <ad...@tecracer.de> on 2011/04/15 09:52:20 UTC

Tomcat 6.0.x TEMP Directory

Hello everybody,

Just a general question. Could it be a bottleneck, if we have millions of
.tmp Files in the Tomcat tmp Folder? If we startup the Tomcat, during a
period > 15m the are no response from the Tomcat, if we try to open
websites, hosted by the tomcat.

Greetings

Alexander Diedler

Re: Tomcat 6.0.x TEMP Directory

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/15 Alexander Diedler <ad...@tecracer.de>:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Just a general question. Could it be a bottleneck, if we have millions of
> .tmp Files in the Tomcat tmp Folder? If we startup the Tomcat, during a
> period > 15m the are no response from the Tomcat, if we try to open
> websites, hosted by the tomcat.

1. It depends on your OS and your file system. Some are notoriously
bad in handling a lot of files in a single directory. (Distributing
the files across several subdirectories is the usual recipe against
that).
2. If the file names should be unique the time to find a new name
might require a loop of several tries, which can be costly.
3. Some random number generators may "hang" waiting on their entropy source.

Anyway, the usual recipe when something hangs is to take several
(three) thread dumps in a row separated by small time interval
(several seconds), to see what goes on in the application.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 6.0.x TEMP Directory

Posted by Francis GALIEGUE <fg...@one2team.com>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 09:52, Alexander Diedler <ad...@tecracer.de> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Just a general question. Could it be a bottleneck, if we have millions of
> .tmp Files in the Tomcat tmp Folder? If we startup the Tomcat, during a
> period > 15m the are no response from the Tomcat, if we try to open
> websites, hosted by the tomcat.

Attack the root of the problem: fix applications which forget to
delete their temporary files after they have used them.

--
Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM