Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2007/05/27 14:58:47 UTC

Branding

Hi all,

There as been a discussion recently about branding on the incubator ML
Re: Branding Guide clarification (was Re: to brand or not to brand?)

What is the status of OFBiz regarding this aspect ?

Jacques

Re: Branding

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Some might even call it a vertical (although a pretty wide one :) )

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Branding

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Branding

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Ean,

this is interesting but I think that the Apache Software Foundation
wouldn't like the new name.
Even if it is true that, right now, OFBiz is the only one ERP project in
the ASF, in theory it is possible that in the future a new ERP project
(different from OFBiz) will join the Foundation; the ASF will maintain
neutrality and not endorse one (our) as the official ERP software from
Apache (as the name "Apache ERP" would suggest).

Jacopo

Re: Branding

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Jacques

Re: Branding

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Branding

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Branding

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Gotta say I love the idea of Apache ERP being in the name somewhere.
Now, changing the name of the project - that would be tough, but
adding the tagline would be a WIN, WIN!

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Branding

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Ean Schuessler" <ea...@brainfood.com>

Re: Branding

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Branding

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Ean Schuessler wrote:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 01:35:57 pm David E Jones wrote:
>> We've discussed this a bit before and nothing has changed since then. There
>> is no registered trademark for OFBiz or "Apache OFBiz" or "The Open For
>> Business Project" or anything else that I'm aware of related to the
>> project.
>>
>> The only restrictions are those listed in the Apache 2.0 license.
>>
>> If we did try to register OFBiz or whatever as a trademark it would be very
>> public and open just like everything else, and in fact getting people
>> involved to help sponsor the effort and the legal costs and such would be
>> necessary. A trademark is not something cheap to get started and it takes a
>> LONG time to get finished, and a lot of effort including legal/government
>> efforts and enforcement efforts.
>>
>> I don't think there is any benefit in doing this, especially not one that
>> justifies the initial and ongoing cost, so chances are this will never be
>> done.
>
> This would be additionally complicated by the fact that both IBM and American
> Express are actively using the phrase "Open for Business" as marketing
> campaigns. Amex uses it for their small business offerings and IBM,
> ironically, for their Open Source efforts. I was both pleased and discouraged
> that IBM was flying a huge banner that said "Open for Business" over their
> booth at JavaOne.

The platitudes of creativity are inspiring, no? Maybe I should get into marketing... ;)

At least we win the google test now: searching for "open for business" we get the first result!

I'm not sure what the deal is with IBM, that might just be some cute marketing thing. With AmEx they seem to have trademarked "OPEN"... there's a fun one to enforce!

-David

Re: Branding

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Branding

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
No problem, it was at least a few months ago.

-David

Re: Branding

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks David,