Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz> on 2012/11/19 20:30:26 UTC

Re: portletWidget branch review

Le 17/11/2012 07:54, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> Erwan,
>
> could you please explain why this patch was committed to the portletWidget branch? There were some objections in Jira and in general there was no general approval for the inclusion. Also, it was a patch for the trunk, not the branch.
>
> This is not the way to go, the branch is not the playground of one committer and we cannot use it as an easy way (a lot of traffic, less reviews from committers) to see the code we like committed to trunk. If this is the general trend, I am tempted to say that the experiment of branches (mostly) used by one committer is failing: branches make sense only if a relevant part of the committer group is working on new stuff, not just one.
Since this branch was created we tried to operate only by Jira to give
visibility to each update and to detail each modification (to help more
committer to be involve in the branch review) .
It's true that I forgot to link this Jira to portletWidget when I argue
him to integrated it.

If an other ways exist to propose a modification and having committer
involve in review, give me the point to do.

I and Erwan, we have tried to simplify committers review and to do a lot
of tests and present a completely finished realization.

I don't say we have done no mistake, but we have tried to add maximum of
visiblity or help :
In portletWidget there are some framework enhancement expose in
mailing-list before and for each main point:
- a use case in example, and sometime one in Party
- developer help is written to explain how to use and what is the best
practice

It's not easy to maintain branch update and need some review or test,
for most of correction after merge we have tried to give clear commit
comment.

I understand it's not easy to do contributor review, but you should
trust in the efforts being made ​​to meet your requests to have a better
ofbiz.
Please, do not forget, contributors have also (like commiter or PMC) to
manage ofbiz bugs on day to day, and so, want a better ofbiz project.

Olivier
a contributor trying to help community for
- better contributions
- better ways to contribute