Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Chris Misra <cm...@oit.umass.edu> on 1998/07/22 14:05:19 UTC

config/2660: Strangeness with configure (paths)

>Number:         2660
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Strangeness with configure (paths)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.0
>Environment:
Fully patched DEC Alpha running OSF/1 (3.2g) built w/ native cc and make

This is NOT at all important, just a question...
Just wondering why you chose to use the code segment...

<src>/configure:729-741

To prepend 'apache' to sysconfdir,etc iff 'apache' is not in sysconfdir

I figure it is to keep users from polluting /etc or whatever, but the
behavior wasn't defined really well in the docs...
>How-To-Repeat:
run ./configure without the string 'apache' in the prefix path and any files
under $prefix/var or $prefix/etc end up as $prefix/var/apache/ $prefix/var/etc
>Fix:
This does not require any kind of fix, but it would be nice if it was documented
better. If this is the GNU-compatible way, disregard my ignorance, but it
caught me (albeit not for long).