Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Chris Gamache <cg...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/27 12:27:49 UTC

Proper use of Executors

Hi all,

I'm using org.apache.commons:commons-exec:1.3 on Java 8.

I'm having an issue where my Tomcat server is bleeding out hundreds of
threads and all of the memory in the form of Executors that I'm running but
don't seem to be closing down ... When the server finally grinds to a halt
I have to restart. When I do it looks like this at shutdown time:

<snip>

27-May-2017 07:56:21.631 WARNING [localhost-startStop-11]
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The
web application [ROOT##000252] appears to have started a thread named [Exec
Default Executor] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create
a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
 java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
 java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:502)
 java.lang.UNIXProcess.waitFor(UNIXProcess.java:396)
 org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.executeInternal(DefaultExecutor.java:364)
 org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.access$200(DefaultExecutor.java:48)
 org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor$1.run(DefaultExecutor.java:200)
 java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

27-May-2017 07:56:21.633 WARNING [localhost-startStop-11]
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The
web application [ROOT##000252] appears to have started a thread named [Exec
Stream Pumper] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a
memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
 java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
 java.io.FileInputStream.read(FileInputStream.java:255)
 java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:246)
 java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:286)
 java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:345)
 java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:107)
 org.apache.commons.exec.StreamPumper.run(StreamPumper.java:107)
 java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

</snip>

And my thread dump is a mile long.

I am certainly willing to concede I'm Doing It Wrong(tm) ... Here's the
relevant code. It is called from a regular method in a regular class,
nothing fancy:

CommandLine cmdLine = CommandLine.parse(command.toString());
DefaultExecutor executor = new DefaultExecutor();
PumpStreamHandler esh = new PumpStreamHandler(os,null,is);
executor.setStreamHandler(esh);
executor.execute(cmdLine);

`is` and `os` are passed in on the constructor. Their opens and closes are
managed well and cleaned up on the outside of this class...
Are there further steps I'm missing to ensure the threads I'm creating are
getting shut down properly and the resources they are using are being
returned?

Any help is much appreciated.

Re: Proper use of Executors

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

________________________________
Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi Chris,

the “recurring theme” does ring a bell - I guess you already know  https://www.mail-archive.com/user@commons.apache.org/msg10368.html <https://www.mail-archive.com/user@commons.apache.org/msg10368.html> :-)

Do you have some Git repo to re-produce the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Chris Gamache <cg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.