Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Anshul Gangwar <an...@citrix.com> on 2015/07/23 11:27:03 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Snapshot Improvements

I am working on improving snapshots experience in CloudStack.

FS is available at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Snapshot+Improvements .

Please review and provide comments/suggestions.

Regards,
Anshul

Re: [PROPOSAL] Snapshot Improvements

Posted by Anshul Gangwar <an...@citrix.com>.
Please find my answers inline

Regards,
Anshul

On 23-Jul-2015, at 8:39 pm, Somesh Naidu <So...@citrix.com>> wrote:

Couple of questions:
1. "In case backup snapshot process fails then user will be provided with alert that backup of snapshot fails."
What user action required if this happens? Or will the snapshot operation be treated as failed marking the DB entry as error and removed from primary storage?
[Anshul] Alert will be information purposes and no user action will be required. Its a separate bug and will be treated separately.

2. How do we deal with incremental snapshots?
[Anshul]
In case of VmWare will be taking full clone snapshots and in case of XenServer its already handled correctly from hypervisor.

Regards,
Somesh

Posted by anil lakineni <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anshul and All,

I knew it is off topic here but you guys have good knowledge on snapshots
in CloudStack. So that I pointed my issues in this thread, Please help me.

I would like to know necessary steps to be taken after getting below list
of errors while creating volume-snapshot,

In the CloudStack web UI,snapshots(scheduled recurring daily volume
snapshot policy)

a. Alert
I was removing entries from UI and updating in Cloud Database (if any
entries related to this snapshot) to destroy state.In this case,tried to
remove entry from the UI if not happened am hacking database and updating
this snapshot state to destroy (snapshot and snapshot_store_ref)

b. Allocated
I was removing entries from UI and updating in Cloud Database (if any
entries related to this snapshot) to destroy state. In this case, removing
snapshot from the UI throwing errors so that am updating in the database
(select state from snapshot where id=) to BackedUp then able to remove it
from UI with some exceptions and then after updating the database snapshot
table's state to destroy. Here no snapshot_store_ref table entries for this
snapshot.
c. backingup
I was removing entries from UI and Cloud Database (if any entries related
to this snapshot) to destroy state . In this case,entries are being created
in snapshot & snapshot_store_ref tables. SO that am updating on both tables
state's to destroy then deleting vhd file from secondary storage as it was
not fully completed snapshot vhd.

d.no entries regarding about snapshot info on UI and database
In this case, am doing cloud management service restart,there after next
scheduled volume snapshots are creating but not already skipped volume
snapshots for the day. Reason for this we could not identified till date,
Even in management logs also no information.

In all the above cases, the reason could be network disruptions or any
other things. we are still investigating on this (please let us know if you
are suspecting any reasons).

My question is on the above cases,

1. Is it possible to re-initiate snapshot creation/continue in any case of
above listed errors because these are scheduled snapshot policy (daily)

2. Was all the process taking on above errors to remove error snapshots,
correct? if not please suggest solutions

Please review and suggest solutions

Thanks,
Anil.

Posted by Anshul Gangwar <an...@citrix.com>.
Yes, currently if user tries to do such operations then they will be informed that they cannot perform that operation.

Anshul

<http://secure-web.cisco.com/1tCC8M005gkJpSV0ZSVk1UMogItoeQtHXN2zP6YYNnfHP400h9uicr-XXJND5ZxDWBtFtEXLyw46R3p3l0MEd-mgPFXDcCH87E2oF7OKbfDUzerbBQmYwrIV-1JKyI3BbayBQ6l9W6RV1edpWd80C3hXJ5lPuclIcBsmfuD4OoKFYlUv3mhcniUgaftJDBihU/http%3A%2F%2Fsolidfire.com%2Fsolution%2Foverview%2F%3Fvideo%3Dplay>*™*

Re: [PROPOSAL] Snapshot Improvements

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Posted by Anshul Gangwar <an...@citrix.com>.
Rajani,