Posted to user@roller.apache.org by nicolas muller <ze...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/14 14:34:07 UTC

Inspiration // News blogs powered with Roller

Hello,

We sent a new series of blogs built with Roller :-) We speak about
financial and legacy for private banking.

In french you will have :
http://www.guywagnerblog.com/fre/
http://www.femmesetpatrimoine.lu/femmes/
http://www.banquedeluxembourgnews.com/actualites/

In English you will have :
http://www.guywagnerblog.com/eng/
http://www.banquedeluxembourgnews.com/news/

It exists translation for dutch, german and spanish too.

I allow himself to post onto these two mailing list because I will explain
a few things how to do it. I think you like the products else you should
not use it.

We need to modify the source code to be able to display list articles and
themes macro to keep the day information. In our case, it is not usefull to
have list of posts by day. The themes use responsiv design concepts so we
can be displayed nicely on iphone/android and tabs.

The most important thing to understand is our use of category. We created
severals categories as news, ads, events... ant each category  is used to
display informations into an area of the page. The left main panel (with
pagination) is only news category. On the right sidebar, we will have
advertisement, events, archives... It is very different concept than
classic use into Roller. In the same page we display numerous categories
rather than filtering with them. It is a powerfull system to build complex
page but very easily. It is easy for publisher to choose how to display the
post ^^ You can imagine we have modified macro for that. Therefore it is
not too hard to do it.

Moreever, we create a page for generating newsletter (using tags associated
with posts)
http://www.guywagnerblog.com/fre/page/newsletter?version=NL_2013_03_01
So we can send via email outlook or sarbacane (or mailchimp) the whole page
:-)

Another great but more complicated things we did is to display posts into
other blogs to keep duplication of articles
http://www.banquedeluxembourgnews.com/news/
This blog "news" has own posts and display too posts from guywagnerblog. It
is possible because we hack tags methods and we have rules to name tags.

I hope the design is nice for you too. We try to do beautiful things
(similar size, width) to be homogeneous between spaces.

I am trying to work onto roller 5 and in few days I will post into github
the source code to store resources media into database. For replication
between servers we could not use the filesystem so we had this feature. I
hesitate to use elasticsearch rather than database for our migration. See
you soon.

Sorry for my bad speaking english. I am french :)

Best regards,

Re: Inspiration // News blogs powered with Roller

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Looks really awesome and really modern looking. Nice to see a living
example of Roller can cater the needs of modern designs.

Thanks

--
Shelan Perera

Home: http://www.shelan.org
Blog   : http:// <http://www.shelanlk.com>blog.shelan.org
Twitter: shelan
skype  :shelan.perera
gtalk   :shelanrc

 I am the master of my fate:
 I am the captain of my soul.
         *invictus*

Re: Inspiration // News blogs powered with Roller

Posted by nicolas muller <ze...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.

@Matt, the design is realized by the marketing team of the Bank. We get psd
 and we cut them to build html. There are numerous meetings and tests
before to get it. But it is true the result is very clean. It is important
to be homogeneous between space. In previous version, the blogs of
"femmes", "guywagner" and "news" have different size and it was not nice
for eyes to switch.

The concept of page and vm is wonderful. Very often i explain to friends as
chief or developper that velocity is a great choice.
It is similar at PHP so our integrator and graphist can work easily with
macro. It is hardier for them to use jsp or taglib or jsf.
They don't need to ask to developper to help them too often. Morever for us
it is easier to separete view and business class. I must say that we have
introduced our business objects into velocity context... it is a little
crappy and hope to delete that during migration.

@Dave, We use a blog for a langage. It is easier because the same post can
be very different between two langages.
Morever all posts don't exist in all langages. We have the same problem
with public website built with Liferay. It is easier than using internal
multilangage mechanism. The principle must be easy for publisher. One blog,
one langage.
We will add soon an option to copy a post from a blog into all blog (with
draft mode).
We associate through Apache a domain name with a blog handle. If i
understand it is provided by version 5.

Hope to release soon the database storage for media resources into github.
First step.

Thank you very much for your work ! All the Apache Team.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by nicolas muller <ze...@gmail.com>.
@Shelan : We use twitter bootstrap to have a modern look and feel. Thanks
for your work about mobile theme. It was an option to migrate to 5 if the
customer chose two design rather than responsive. Finally it is easier to
design Bootstrap than JqMobile.

@Glen : No problem to add references to these blogs. I didn't see the jira
but it is easier for me too to deliver a patch.
I am right with the three problem and I think you are right to label this
functionnality as experimental.

Thanks to everyone !

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.