Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2000/12/20 06:25:44 UTC

NameVirtualHosts and 2.0 locus.

(brian, I am copying you directly because I want to make sure you see
this.)

If anybody really looks at the configuration used for the VirtualHosts
with Apache 2.0 on locus right now, you will notice this:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName dev.apache.org
    DocRoot .....
</VirtualHost>

As opposed to the 1.3 setup that had the IP address instead of the
"*"s.  I spent a long time trying to figure out what was happening earlier
today before I discovered that the * syntax would work.  Well, I have now
traced this problem down.  The thing is, we are doing the correct
thing!!!!  In fact, this is due to IPv6 being enabled by default in Apache
2.0.

What is happening, is that Apache queries the machine to determine the IP
address, which on FreeBSD returns "::1".  However, if we use the IPv4 IP
address in out Virtual Host configuration, then obviously Apache won't be
able to match the "::1" against "63.211.145.10" successfully.  We need to
match the IP address to actually find the virtual host that we want to
use.

So, that should explain why the config change was required.  I think the
solution is exactly what Jeff suggested already, a configuration directive
that informs Apache if it should be using the IPv4 or IPv6 address
internally.

The next thing I want to look at is sendfile on FreeBSD.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131