Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by mukesh <mu...@hungama.com> on 2006/01/05 17:55:24 UTC

Real time optimization problem

Hi friends,

            Got to optimize a system, flow is explained below

Request Scenario

Step 1. User   invokes a My webservice deployed on Tomcat 5.5.  Tomcat 5.5
is connected to internet via Apache 2.0 + Mod_jk.

Step 2. My Webservice forward request to application server

Step 3. Application Server calls database (oracle)

Step 4. After doing necessary database manipulation (insertion and some
other checks), Application Server Construct Response

Response Scenario

Step1. after constructing response Application server calls User's
webservice deployed on his end, via JSP. (application server --> JSP
-->User's Web Service with nessary parameters

Step 2.User's Webservice then returns the service to the User.

Now,

1.	User (and His Web service) is on some remote server (do not know the
configuration of his server)
2.	My Webservice + application server is on another system running
linux 7.0, Apache2.0 + mod_jk and Tomcat5.5 + Axis1.3
3.	Database (Oracle 8i) is on another server

All three servers are connected via internet

Problem

One request-response cycle takes around 3 seconds while requirement is min 3
request-response per second..

I have removed all logs and other pritln statements which results in slight
imporvment.

Please how and where is the possibility for optimization? My Webservice is
pretty simple, all connection are http connection except database (which
must be using some other protocol)

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Kind regards

Mukesh

Re: Real time optimization problem

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
1) Put back all the logging via (Log4j or whatever)
2) Add filters (or whatever) to to all the individual pieces which make up
the entire transaction
3) find the component which is slowest or from a timing point of view
potentially too slow and start attcking that point. For example
- if the database section is too slow - get help from a DBA
- if the xml processing is too slow - check if your parser can be upgraded to
something faster
- if other processing is too slow - use a profiler for the JVM and the OS
- if other processing is too slow - replace the "slow" server with one with a
  faster CPU
- If the transaction is across a large distance (many Internet hops) - using
a middle mile accelerator such as Netli or Akamai. (Or rent a dedicated line)
- ...

- Tim