Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com> on 2010/07/05 08:57:17 UTC

Re: How not to implement SPF (nationwide.co.uk)

On 6/30/2010 2:25 PM, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:19:43 +0100
> Ned Slider<ne...@unixmail.co.uk>  wrote:
>

>> so they have no SPF policy? Wrong, they do, but it's on their
>> email.barclays.co.uk subdomain as presumably that's the domain they
>> send mail from - but how are you supposed to know that if they don't
>> tell you?
>>
> I suppose they are being realistic about spf - that it's only really
> useful for whitelisting purposes.

It's not even useful for white listing as spammers can set up SPF too.

--
Marc Perkel - Sales/Support
support@junkemailfilter.com

Re: How not to implement SPF (nationwide.co.uk)

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 04.07.10 23:57, Marc Perkel wrote:
> It's not even useful for white listing as spammers can set up SPF too.

Marc, please stop bullshitting about SPF, finally.
We already know you don't understand how it works.
Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody

Re: How not to implement SPF (nationwide.co.uk)

Posted by Kelson Vibber <ke...@speed.net>.
On Jul 5, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Marc Perkel wrote:

> BTW - does anyone have some big list of domain that when combined with SPF make a good white list?

Well, that would depend on who you and your users want mail from, wouldn't it?

Re: How not to implement SPF (nationwide.co.uk)

Posted by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>.

Posted by Kelson Vibber <ke...@speed.net>.

Posted by Dave Pooser <da...@pooserville.com>.
On 7/5/10 Jul 5, 1:57 AM, "Marc Perkel" <su...@junkemailfilter.com> wrote:

> It's not even useful for white listing as spammers can set up SPF too.

Yes, Marc, but here's the secret to that:
    YOU DON'T WHITELIST THE SPAMMERS!

Ahem. Sorry about that, but since reasoned explanation hasn't been working I
figured yelling might. You see, nobody is suggesting "whitelist_auth *@*" --
that would be stupid. What people ARE saying is that
    whitelist_auth *@mybank.domain
can be a handy tool if mybank.domain has properly configured SPF (or DKIM)
records.

That's it. Not the FUSS, not the ultimate hat-checker. Just a way that I can
make sure legitimate mails from $sender get through while forged messages
pretending to be from $sender don't. This ain't rocket surgery.
--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief