Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by recursion <ba...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/07 10:45:44 UTC

Re: Database support

Yes,

I remember this feature from one of your home pages. But doesn't this mean
that if i want to deploy a legacy EJB 2.1 CMP application on OpenEJB, then i
should necessarily plug in a JPA provider ? Normally, CMP doesn't require
JPA ? Is this some kind of theoretical limitation ? (it's clear that it is
not a practical limitation, since with almost no efforts one could configure
either the default OpenJPA or some other JPA provider).

Best Regards,
recursion,

Re: Database support

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 7, 2009, at 1:45 AM, recursion wrote:

> Yes,
>
> I remember this feature from one of your home pages. But doesn't
> this mean
> that if i want to deploy a legacy EJB 2.1 CMP application on
> OpenEJB, then i
> should necessarily plug in a JPA provider ? Normally, CMP doesn't
> require
> JPA ? Is this some kind of theoretical limitation ? (it's clear that
> it is
> not a practical limitation, since with almost no efforts one could
> configure
> either the default OpenJPA or some other JPA provider).

If you need to deploy a CMP application there's no JPA related work
that you need to do.  We do all the work under the covers and you are
not exposed to anything JPA related unless you want to be.

I don't know that I'd describe it as any sort of "limitation" as you
can do all the things with CMP as before with no extra burden.  It
does open up some more elegant ways to port a CMP application to JPA
that are otherwise not possible.

-David