Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/21 17:39:14 UTC

Jackrabbit 2.0 release plan

Hi,

As a followup to the Jackrabbit 1.6 release plan I sent earlier,
here's a quick roadmap towards Jackrabbit 2.0.

Once the 1.x branch has been created on April 30th, we will upgrade
the JCR dependency in trunk to the JCR 2.0 jar included in the  JSR
283 proposed final draft. This will replace all the
org.apache.jackrabbit.api.jsr283 extension interfaces we currently
have in jackrabbit-api.

At the same point we will also upgrade the required runtime platform
to Java 5. This means that all Java 5 language and library features
will then be available in Jackrabbit trunk.

The 2.0 release also gives us a changes to drop deprecated features
and introduce configuration and other backwards-incompatible changes
that we normally wouldn't do in a minor release. However, any such
change must come with a clear explanation in the 2.0 release notes.

It can be expected that the trunk may be fairly unstable in May as a
result of the JCR 2.0 upgrade and other changes. If you're using the
Jackrabbit trunk for anything else than development or testing, it's
probably a good idea to follow the 1.x branch instead until the JCR
2.0 work has stabilized.

The JSR 283 RI and TCK will be branched off from the Jackrabbit trunk
at some point after both codebases have reached reasonable
feature-completeness. After that, once the JSR 283 is final, we will
upgrade the JCR 2.0 API dependency from the proposed final draft to
the final version and focus on stabilizing the trunk for the
Jackrabbit 2.0 release. I'll keep you posted as more details of these
milestones and expected schedules become available.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 release plan

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're getting pretty close to feature-completeness... I'm planning to
>> cut a new alpha release (2.0-alpha8) tomorrow and will most likely do
>> another one (2.0-alpha9) next week as we gear up towards the JSR 283
>> final release.
>
> We have just resolved (thanks, Julian!) all the remaining JSR 283
> support issues from JCR-1104!
>
> There's one more JCR 2.0 pre-release jar coming up due to the constant
> errors reported on users@. Once we have that (tomorrow, I guess) I
> plan to resolve JCR-1104 and cut the 2.0-alpha9 release.
>
> From that point we'll also create the JSR 283 RI and TCK branch for
> any remaining extra tweaks.
>
> BTW, once JSR 283 is final (and the official JCR 2.0 API jar is out),
> I would like to move the jackrabbit-jcr-tests component to the JCR
> Commons subproject and release a 2.0 version of it with the exact same
> contents as was used for the JSR 283 TCK. That way we'll have a clear
> baseline for any TCK fixes that may be needed and can manage the TCK
> work outside the main Jackrabbit release cycle.

+1, excellent

cheers
stefan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't yet looked in detail at all the open feature issues we have,
> but it would be really cool if we could have Jackrabbit 2.0 released
> by the ApacheCon US in early November. That would give us essentially
> one month time for any remaining work in trunk. Improvements that
> don't make it to svn by that time can be postponed to 2.1.

I talked with Angela who would rather not set a fixed release date
before the security code has settled down to something we are
comfortable with for the entire 2.x cycle. It's a good point, so I'm
inclined to wait until the security code has stabilized. I'll keep you
posted on any updates to this.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we're ready to create the 2.0 branch and only apply bug fixes
> and other finishing touches there before the final release. More
> extensive changes should go into the branch only with a good enough
> reason why they should be included in 2.0 instead of 2.1.

I have now created the 2.0 release branch and updated Jackrabbit trunk
version to 2.1-SNAPSHOT. I also added a 2.1.0 version to Jira.

I will be tracking Jira and making sure that any commits on issues
resolved for the 2.0 release are merged to the release branch. Please
only use the 2.0 version in Jira for bug fixes or other changes that
for some reason can't wait for 2.1.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think we're ready to create the 2.0 branch and only apply bug fixes
and other finishing touches there before the final release. More
extensive changes should go into the branch only with a good enough
reason why they should be included in 2.0 instead of 2.1.

I'll create the branch and cut a beta5 release from it later today.
The currently open blockers for 2.0 are:

  [JCR-2195] Provide possibility to import protected items using ...
  [JCR-2243] Automatic upgrade to 2.0

Once these and the other non-bugfix issues targeted for 2.0 are
resolved or postponed we can drop the beta status and do the final 2.0
release.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I wanted to do a 2.0-beta2 release two weeks ago at ApacheCon, but
even though I already cut the release candidate I never had time to
run the release vote. Now I'd like to get back on track by cutting
2.0-beta3.

We're getting closer to 2.0 final, but there still are blocker issues
to resolve:

  [JCR-2195] Provide possibility to import protected items using ...
  [JCR-2243] Automatic upgrade to 2.0
  [JCR-2331] Configurable DefaultPolicy replacing Initialization within ...

There are also a number of other issues tagged for 2.0. I'll start
looking through them to see which ones to keep and which ones to
postpone to 2.1.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'll be doing another Jackrabbit 2.0 alpha tomorrow.

The JCR 2.0 API jar is now officially available from the JCP (see
[1]), and I'm hoping to get the jar uploaded to Maven central within a
few days. After that I would like to switch from the source-only alpha
releases we've been doing to a sequence of beta releases that come
with all the pre-built binaries and other Maven artifacts for easier
downstream testing and integration.

We currently have the following blocker issues targeted for the final
Jackrabbbit 2.0 release:

  [JCR-2231] Improvements to user management (2)
  [JCR-2331] Configurable DefaultPolicy replacing Initialization
within the ACProvider
  [JCR-2243] Automatic upgrade to 2.0

[1] http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr283/index.html

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As David mentioned, JCR 2.0 is now approved and should become
available soon. This means that we are getting closer to being able to
release Jackrabbit 2.0. As another step on that way I'm doing another
alpha release today.

I haven't yet looked in detail at all the open feature issues we have,
but it would be really cool if we could have Jackrabbit 2.0 released
by the ApacheCon US in early November. That would give us essentially
one month time for any remaining work in trunk. Improvements that
don't make it to svn by that time can be postponed to 2.1.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, once JSR 283 is final (and the official JCR 2.0 API jar is out),
> I would like to move the jackrabbit-jcr-tests component to the JCR
> Commons subproject and release a 2.0 version of it with the exact same
> contents as was used for the JSR 283 TCK. That way we'll have a clear
> baseline for any TCK fixes that may be needed and can manage the TCK
> work outside the main Jackrabbit release cycle.

The 2.0-alpha9 sources of jackrabbit-jcr-tests did become the approved
JCR 2.0 TCK, so I'm taking that codebase and copying it to
.../jackrabbit/commons/jcr-tests/trunk. Once the JCR 2.0 API jar is
officially available we can release that component and replace the
sources in .../jackrabbit/trunk with a normal Maven dependency.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

There's another JCR 2.0 API jar version coming up (b113, see JCR-1104)
and I'm planning to do another alpha release (2.0-alpha7) once we have
those changes in trunk. I'm slightly optimistic that this might be the
last API change before the final JSR 283 release...

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact I'd like to speed up the release schedule and cut the final
> release candidate already this week as soon as we've sorted out all
> the remaining Jira issues.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on the release and expect to
cut the release candidate within the next few hours. Please shout if
there's still something that you need fixed before the release.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

Currently the data store doesn't work as expected (it was broken by a
recent change, probably adding support for the new Binary interface).
I like to fix that today.

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

One more alpha before I head out for a two-week vacation: I'll update
the JCR API jar again tomorrow and cut a 2.0-alpha5 release candidate
based on that.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'll probably cut a 2.0-alpha4 release soon as we've again seen good
progress in trunk.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that the trunk is reasonably stable again, I'm planning to cut the
> first 2.0 milestone release next week.

As mentioned by Roy, we'd be better in line with the JCP terminology
if we used the term "alpha" for the milestone releases.

So, I've added the release "2.0-alpha1" to Jira and tagged all already
fixed 2.0 issues for that release. I'm planning to cut the 2.0-alpha1
release on Wednesday this week.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Torgeir Veimo <to...@netenviron.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/20 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
>> I'm working on a migration tool (to be included already in Jackrabbit
>> 1.6) that will allow users to migrate content from one repository
>> configuration to another.
>
> Very good. With versioning and UUIDs intact I presume?

Yes.

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@netenviron.com>.

--
-Tor

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Torgeir Veimo <to...@netenviron.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/20 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>:
>> Now that the trunk is reasonably stable again, I'm planning to cut the
>> first 2.0 milestone release next week.
>
> Will a 1.5 repository be two-way binary compatible with a 2.0 repository?

Not necessarily. With the current trunk (and the upcoming M1) it
should be, but we may well want to change things before the final
Jackrabbit 2.0 release. Anyway, such changes will only be done if
there's a major reason behind it. Possible candidates are query index
changes required by join support and the proposed removal of all
non-bundle persistence managers.

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@netenviron.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also planning to set up a series of time-based milestone releases
> leading up to 2.0.0. Every few weeks I'd cut a new 2.0-M? release
> based on the then-current trunk. These milestones (essentially alpha
> releases) would allow people to try out the new features and also give
> us a clear record of what's been achieved and what still needs to be
> done.

Now that the trunk is reasonably stable again, I'm planning to cut the
first 2.0 milestone release next week.

This 2.0-M1 release will be based on the PFD version of the JCR 2.0
API, but because of JCP licensing reasons users will need to manually
download the API jar from jcp.org to use the milestone release.
Because of this the milestone release will only be made in source form
and no binaries will be posted to jackrabbit.apache.org or to the
central Maven repository.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once the 1.x branch has been created on April 30th, we will upgrade
> the JCR dependency in trunk to the JCR 2.0 jar included in the  JSR
> 283 proposed final draft.

I will start the migration tomorrow afternoon once 1.x has been
branched. This will most likely result in some breakage of the build,
so if you're not involved with the JSR 283 efforts you may want to
follow the 1.x branch for a while.

I will also point all our current Hudson builds to the 1.x branch
until trunk has stabilized enough for CI builds to make sense again.

> The JSR 283 RI and TCK will be branched off from the Jackrabbit trunk
> at some point after both codebases have reached reasonable
> feature-completeness. After that, once the JSR 283 is final, we will
> upgrade the JCR 2.0 API dependency from the proposed final draft to
> the final version and focus on stabilizing the trunk for the
> Jackrabbit 2.0 release. I'll keep you posted as more details of these
> milestones and expected schedules become available.

As you probably saw already, I tagged all the major JSR 283 feature
issues for the 2.0.0 release in Jira. I also upgraded the priorities
of those issues to Major or Critical based on my assessment of the
required effort and expected impact of the changes.

The sub-tasks view in JCR-1104 give a good summary of the relevant
issues. I'll try to work through that list of issues and figure out
where we are in terms of completeness as many of the issues have
already seen quite a bit of work done to them. Perhaps we can use the
funny time-tracking feature to get a rough summary estimate on where
we are.

I'm also planning to set up a series of time-based milestone releases
leading up to 2.0.0. Every few weeks I'd cut a new 2.0-M? release
based on the then-current trunk. These milestones (essentially alpha
releases) would allow people to try out the new features and also give
us a clear record of what's been achieved and what still needs to be
done.

Once we get a better picture of the JSR 283 schedule and our progress
towards feature-completeness, we can decide which milestone to use as
the branching point for the RI and TCK releases.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a followup to the Jackrabbit 1.6 release plan I sent earlier,
> here's a quick roadmap towards Jackrabbit 2.0.

+1 on the specific plan, and also thanks a lot for doing the planning work!

BR, Julian

Re: Jackrabbit 2.0 release plan

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We reached JCR 2.0 feature completeness with the alpha9 release, but
that's only part of the work to be done for the Jackrabbit 2.0
release. I'd now like to start focusing on the other aspects of the
release, so please set the Fix Version to 2.0.0 on any issues you
think should be fixed in the 2.0 release.

I'll be doing another alpha release shortly to create a new baseline
with the latest changes in trunk.

BR,

Jukka Zitting