Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Rick Rineholt <cr...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/17 15:09:14 UTC

Auto AllowsPassByReference on WebServiceBindings

For the Web service bindings since there is in essence a copy that has
already been made in the serialization and deserialization and the
bindings themselves shouldn't modify the parms/result can these
connections be automatically marked with AllowsPassByReference ?

Re: Auto AllowsPassByReference on WebServiceBindings

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Jan 17, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Raymond Feng wrote:

> I'm not very sure ATM. Would it probably add a requirement to add a
> "optimization" phase which will be triggered after all the
> interceptors are in place for the invocation chain :-) ?

That was the point of the wire post processors in the first place.
Shouldn't the pass-by-val interceptor be done as part of the policy
phase (e.g. as a SourcePolicyBuilder or TargetPolicyBuilder)?

Jim

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We had discussions before on how we can optimize the pass-by-value support:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg11487.html

As a summary, here are some points:

1) Pass-by-value interceptor could be skipped for the wires to a bound
reference or from a bound service with the assumption that
transport/protocol layer (for example, SOAP/HTTP) in the bindings will
marshal/unmarshal the data and in turn enforce the by-value semantics.

2) Pass-by-value interceptor could be skipped if the databinding interceptor
is also effective in chain (data transformation will convert the data by
value).

3) Different databindings could provide their own way to copy data. For java
objects, we decide to use serialize/deserialize to enfore the by-value as
it's the most common way. I think the SCA for Java C&I spec should tell us
what to do:-).

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.