Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Kudyba <rk...@ncmintmail.com> on 2006/03/02 16:07:35 UTC

httpd.conf equivalent options in Tomcat's xml config files

We ran a vulnerability assessment (results follow below) and here are 2
issues that popped up, and the results suggest changing directives from the
httpd.conf file, which of course we don't have. What Tomcat equivalent
options in the XML config file(s) are needed to be set to fix these?

"The Mac OS X Finder creates a file called .DS_Store in each directory that
it views. Some versions of OS X include system configuration information and
file location information in these files. The .DS_Store files can be
accessed from this server via a web request such as http://IP/.DS_Store.
Service: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Bugtraq:3316
Configure your Apache server to block access to these files with the
FileMatch feature of httpd.conf.

Some distributions of Apache, especially in Red Hat 7.0, allow an attacker
to probe a system for user names via requests for user home pages (e.g.,
http://host/~username).
Service: Apache-Coyote/1.1
CVE:CAN-2001-1013
Bugtraq:3335
Disabling the UserDir directive in the Apache configuration file
(httpd.conf) will prevent this, although it will also prevent users from
providing their own web pages. Alternately, specify ErrorDocuments for both
403 (Forbidden) and 404 (Page Not Found) responses."

Re: httpd.conf equivalent options in Tomcat's xml config files

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
re: .DS_Store

couple of ways I can think of doing it.
1. Protect it using web.xml (security) with the a matching URL pattern
2. Write a simple filter that checks the URL, and returns the error

Filip