Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/14 04:21:27 UTC

Re: Automatically deleting pull request comments left by AmplabJenkins

Prototype is at https://github.com/databricks/spark-pr-dashboard/pull/59

Posted by "Cheng, Hao" <ha...@intel.com>.
OK, thanks, probably just myself…

It took several seconds before the page showed up.

FYI

I found the https://spark-prs.appspot.com/ is super slow while open it in a new window recently, not sure just myself or everybody experience the same, is there anyways to speed up?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I tried accessing just now.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Josh for the initiative.

I think reducing the redundancy in QA bot posts would make discussion on GitHub
UI more focused.

Cheers

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.
The updated prototype listed in
https://github.com/databricks/spark-pr-dashboard/pull/59 is now running
live on spark-prs as part of its PR comment update task.

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Iulian Dragoș <iu...@typesafe.com>.
On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Prototype is at https://github.com/databricks/spark-pr-dashboard/pull/59
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *TL;DR*: would anyone object if I wrote a script to auto-delete pull
>> request comments from AmplabJenkins?
>>
>> Currently there are two bots which post Jenkins test result comments to
>> GitHub, AmplabJenkins and SparkQA.
>>
>> SparkQA is the account which post the detailed Jenkins start and finish
>> messages that contain information on which commit is being tested and which
>> tests have failed. This bot is controlled via the dev/run-tests-jenkins
>> script.
>>
>> AmplabJenkins is controlled by the Jenkins GitHub Pull Request Builder
>> plugin. This bot posts relatively uninformative comments ("Merge build
>> triggered", "Merge build started", "Merge build failed") that do not
>> contain any links or details specific to the tests being run.

Some of these can be configured. For instance, make sure to disable "Use
comments to report intermediate phases: triggered et al", and if you add a
publicly accessible URL in "Published Jenkins URL", you will get a link to
the test result in the test result comment. I know these are global
settings, but the Jenkins URL is unique anyway, and intermediate phases are
probably equally annoying to everyone.

You can see the only comment posted for a successful PR build here:
https://github.com/scala-ide/scala-ide/pull/991#issuecomment-128016214

I'd avoid more custom code if possible.

my 2c,
iulian

>> It is technically non-trivial prevent these AmplabJenkins comments from
>> being posted in the first place (see
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4216).
>>
>> However, as a short-term hack I'd like to deploy a script which
>> automatically deletes these comments as soon as they're posted, with an
>> exemption carved out for the "Can an admin approve this patch for testing?"
>> messages. This will help to significantly de-clutter pull request
>> discussions in the GitHub UI.
>>
>> If nobody objects, I'd like to deploy this script sometime in the next
>> few days.
>>
>> (From a technical perspective, my script uses the GitHub REST API and
>> AmplabJenkins' own OAuth token to delete the comments.  The final
>> deployment environment will most likely be the backend of
>> http://spark-prs.appspot.com).
>>
>> - Josh

Iulian Dragos

------