Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ka...@simplify-technologies.de on 2004/07/22 15:14:18 UTC

Default of "realm" in svnserve.conf doesn't seems to be constant

Hello.

The default of the "realm" parameter in svnserve.conf is not constant
(should be the path to the repository), which leads to repeated
authentication requests by the client.

During a test my svnserve.conf looked as follows:

[general]
anon-access = none
auth-access = write
password-db = svnuserpasswd

For example, I accessed the repository "my_rep" with the client
"svn log svn://my_server/my_rep/first_dir" and was prompted for
authentication.
After that there was an entry in the local svn.simple directory with the
realm string "<svn://my_serve:3690> my_rep/first_dir".
Second repository access: "svn log svn://my_server/my_rep/first_dir/second_dir"
Strangely authentication again, new entry in svn.simple with realm string
"<svn://my_serve:3690> my_rep/first_dir/second_dir".
And so on with accesses to other parts of "my_rep".
The realm string changes, it seems not to  be the constant path to the repository.

If the svnserve.conf contains the line "realm = My Repository" the authentication
process is started only once.

Karsten.
--
Simplify Technologies GmbH
Dr.Karsten Krischker

Re: Default of "realm" in svnserve.conf doesn't seems to be constant

Posted by Ben Reser <br...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:14:18 +0200,
<ka...@simplify-technologies.de> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The default of the "realm" parameter in svnserve.conf is not constant
> (should be the path to the repository), which leads to repeated
> authentication requests by the client.
>
> During a test my svnserve.conf looked as follows:
>
> [general]
> anon-access = none
> auth-access = write
> password-db = svnuserpasswd
>
> For example, I accessed the repository "my_rep" with the client
> "svn log svn://my_server/my_rep/first_dir" and was prompted for
> authentication.
> After that there was an entry in the local svn.simple directory with the
> realm string "<svn://my_serve:3690> my_rep/first_dir".
> Second repository access: "svn log svn://my_server/my_rep/first_dir/second_dir"
> Strangely authentication again, new entry in svn.simple with realm string
> "<svn://my_serve:3690> my_rep/first_dir/second_dir".
> And so on with accesses to other parts of "my_rep".
> The realm string changes, it seems not to  be the constant path to the repository.
>
> If the svnserve.conf contains the line "realm = My Repository" the authentication
> process is started only once.

ghudson is working on this.  Like you pointed out the workaround for
the time being is to set the realm manually.