Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Skip Walker <sk...@skipwalker.com> on 2002/01/14 17:33:19 UTC

Turbine and Transactions

This question is a best practices question.

How are users of Turbine dealing with actions where all or none transactions
would be desired?

For instance, I have an action that needs to add something to one of my
database tables, and then perform several operations on the turbine
user/security database tables.  If one of these steps fail, then I would
like the whole action to fail, and roll back.  This doesn't seem like a
unique problem, so I was wondering what kind of solutions people had.

Skip

Re: Turbine and Transactions

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
From: "Skip Walker" <sk...@skipwalker.com>

> I think the real root of my question was regarding how people are handling
> the need for transactions outside of the EJB environment.  Are all
solutions
> homegrown?

Turbine includes facilities for handling transactions.

            DBConnection dbCon = BasePeer.beginTransaction("default");
            try {
                objectA.save(dbCon);
                objectB.save(dbCon);
                BasePeer.commitTransaction(dbCon);
            }
            catch (SQLException ex) {
                BasePeer.rollBackTransaction(dbCon);
            }

An actual transaction will only be used if the underlying database
supports them.

HTH,

Scott

RE: Turbine and Transactions

Posted by Skip Walker <sk...@skipwalker.com>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
From: "Skip Walker" <sk...@skipwalker.com>

> This question is a best practices question.
>
> How are users of Turbine dealing with actions where all or none
transactions
> would be desired?
>
> For instance, I have an action that needs to add something to one of my
> database tables, and then perform several operations on the turbine
> user/security database tables.  If one of these steps fail, then I would
> like the whole action to fail, and roll back.  This doesn't seem like a
> unique problem, so I was wondering what kind of solutions people had.

The current security implementation does not use transactions.  I still
haven't got around to posting my hack/patch to overcome the problem
highlighted in the extend-user-howto, but further work is necessary to
enable transactions.

> Skip

Scott