Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by zork <pr...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/18 14:28:43 UTC

Messages being Missed on Node Start

Hi Ignite experts,

I am facing an issue where some messages sent to a node are sometimes missed
when the node just joins the cluster.

On some debugging, I found that this is because as soon as the node joins
the cluster, the sender node receives a NODE_JOINED event for that receiver
node and it starts sending messages to it, however, the receiver has still
not started listening to those topics which are being received.

Keeping this use case in mind, can someone help answer these please:
1. Can a node register to listen for specific topics before it joins the
cluster?
2. If the above is not possible what would be a good way to achieve this so
that the node that just joined does not miss any messages?

Re: Messages being Missed on Node Start

Posted by Alexandr Shapkin <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Yes, seems like the https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1410 is not
resolved, unfortunately.

Is it possible to listen for predefined events like
LifecycleEventType.AFTER_NODE_START or EVT_CLUSTER_ACTIVATED?

Alternatively, you might want to utilize Ignite data structures, like
AtomicLong to signal other nodes that the client is ready for processing.

If none of the above suggestions work for you, can you provide an example of
why do you need to register a custom event? And what you are trying to
achieve with it?

-----
Alex Shapkin

Re: Messages being Missed on Node Start

Posted by zork <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Can anyone provide an input on this please?

Re: Messages being Missed on Node Start

Posted by zork <pr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks akorensh,
As advised I'm trying to send a user-defined event from the receiving node
when it becomes ready to accept messages and listening to this event on the
sending node to wait until the receiver is ready.

However, the node that I'm trying to send a user-defined event from is a
.net node.
I have a few questions, but first would like to inquire if it is even
possible to send such an event from a .net node because I'm getting
Ignite-1410 exception when I try to do so. And I can see that IGNITE-1410 is
still open.

Re: Messages being Missed on Node Start

Posted by akorensh <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
  A node has to join the cluster to receive/register for messages/events.

  You can store events:
https://ignite.apache.org/releases/latest/javadoc/org/apache/ignite/spi/eventstorage/memory/MemoryEventStorageSpi.html
  On every node join, replay the events stored.

 see: https://ignite.apache.org/features/messaging.html
  https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/events

example:
https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/master/examples/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/examples/datagrid/CacheEventsExample.java