Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr> on 2019/05/10 07:52:03 UTC

Verbose mode for command-line tools

Hello list,

Is it exist a way to know what data is received by command-line tool?

I run a shell command to PDFBox from OpenOffice and nothing happens.
If I run same line from console, all is fine.

Thanks

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 14.05.2019 um 19:11 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:

> java -jar pdfbox.jar ImageToPDF ImageToPDF ....

👍👍

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 13.05.19 um 15:00 schrieb Cyril Beaussier:

> On 2019/05/12 12:39:08, Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> wrote:
>> Did you check if OpenOffice uses the same environment as your console,
>> especially w.r.t. to the classpath? Maybe some external jar is missing a
>> OpenOffice simply swallows the exception.
> Well, as I said before: some functions works and others failed.
> I make a testcase. You can see it through a GIF animated:
>   https://cjoint.com/c/IEnm6EnidSp
> PDFToImage, ExtractImages and PDFSplit works.
> ExtractText and ImageToPDF are failed.
> I don't understand why.
According to your gif recording you are using something like this

java -jar pdfbox.jar ImageToPDF ImageToPDF ....

I guess the double "ImageToPDF" leads to an exception

Andreas

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your job

I will comment in this issue report

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 23.05.2019 um 15:28 schrieb Cyril Beaussier:
>> Did you see the post by Andreas? And did you correct your script?
> Yes, I fixed the string but the problem still occurs like I said before.

Ok, see my comment in

Tilman

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.
New testcase

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 21.05.2019 um 17:00 schrieb Cyril Beaussier:
> Gotcha! I can generate a log file.
>
> Method ImageToPDF returns 114 lines of:
> may 21, 2019 4:39:37 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType0Font toUnicode
> WARNING: No Unicode mapping for CID+NN (NN) in font Effra-Light-Identity-H
>
> Hope this help to help me!

Did you miss the post by Andreas? You had "ImageToPDF" twice. And the
log entry you mention wouldn't appear for "ImageToPDF", only for
PDFToImage or ExtractText.

Tilman

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.

On 2019/05/14 16:50:49, Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> wrote:
> To check that the logging works at all, try a command that produces
> logging. To do this, try running PDFToImage with the file from the
> thread "pdfbox parse error "Header doesn't contain versioninfo" here.
Well, I downloaded the PDF from DropBox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic04eojpyhqm2kt/00054_CCH_Annual%20Report_2016-82-85.pdf
But I have not be able to get this error.
Images are been extracted with no problem.

> Other idea: could it be that your call string is too long?
I don't think so because the same strings works perfectly under Windows.

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
formatting of "logging.properties" got lost, next attempt:

handlers=java.util.logging.FileHandler

java.util.logging.FileHandler.level=FINEST

java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern=/somepath/pdfbox.log

java.util.logging.FileHandler.formatter=java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 13.05.2019 um 17:56 schrieb Cyril Beaussier:

> On 2019/05/13 13:08:52, Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> wrote:
>> I wonder if the "*" could be a problem.
> ExtractText has not this joker in the passed string and this function failed.
> I try to replace * by the fullname image and the problem still occurs.
> :-(

Yeah I know but it was still worth a try.

You  could also try to enable logging. add

-Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties

and logging.properties should contain this:

handlers=java.util.logging.FileHandler
java.util.logging.FileHandler.level=FINEST
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern=/somepath/pdfbox.log
java.util.logging.FileHandler.formatter=java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

It would be interesting if there is any output. (No file could also mean
that there were not any messages)

Tilman

Re: AW: Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
I wonder if the "*" could be a problem.

Tilman

Gesendet mit der Telekom Mail App
<https://kommunikationsdienste.t-online.de/redirects/email_app_android_sendmail_footer>

--- Original-Nachricht ---
Von: Cyril Beaussier
Betreff: Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools
Datum: 13.05.2019, 15:00 Uhr
An: users@pdfbox.apache.org

https://cjoint.com/c/IEnm6EnidSp <https://cjoint.com/c/IEnm6EnidSp>

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 10.05.2019 um 14:10 schrieb Cyril Beaussier:
> Thanks Tilman for your interrest
>
>> Can you retrieve the standard output / error? And the return code?
> No error is returned by shell command.
> And if I copy / paste the string into console : it works
>
>> - missing permissions in output directory (can you create the target
>> file separately in your macro? Or try running ExtractText with the
>> output file in the same target directory?)
> As said it before
>>> Under OpenOffice, I run my macro with shell command
>>> - PDFToImage : no problem, that works
>>> - ImageToPDF : no output PDF file
>>> Under console, both commands works
> I have an issue only with ImageToPDF and only under OpenOffice.

At this time, all I could offer to you would be to build a version of
the app that does some standard output. I would upload that one to a
sharehoster. Would that be useful? That's why I asked wether you can
catch the standard output / error output. If the output is swallowed by
OpenOffice, then it would be even more difficult.

Tilman

Re: Verbose mode for command-line tools

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Can you retrieve the standard output / error? And the return code?

Other possible causes of type "dumb but has happened to all of us":
- different versions, i.e. you're running an old version that doesn't
have the feature
- missing permissions in output directory (can you create the target
file separately in your macro? Or try running ExtractText with the
output file in the same target directory?)
- typo in call
- spaces in file name and missing quotes
- permission for macro itself (can any word macro open external files?)

Tilman

Posted by Cyril Beaussier <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
No, there is no such option.