Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com> on 2002/09/07 10:28:24 UTC

Autodeploy oddity (bug?) in 4.1.10 (TomCat deploys same webapp to 2 contexts instead of 1)

I've found a minor oddity when using auto deployment in 4.1.10.

Take a simple web application (called montage),  create a
montage_prod.war and montage_prod.xml for it and copy them to the
webapps directory.  However before doing that, change the  path i.e.

<Context path="/montage" docBase="montage_prod.war" debug="0">

Restart tomcat.

TomCat proceeds to merrily deploy montage_prod.war to /montage and this
context works.

However it also deploys montage_prod.war to /montage_prod and this
context doesn't work properly (I dispute whether it should even exist at
all).  It appears to be missing the environment settings from
montage_prod.xml.

Admittedly this won't affect many people and I only noticed because I've
started using the built-in TomCat manager.

Is this intentional behaviour?

(I realise I can rename montage_prod.war to montage.war  and similarly
for the xml, but that isn't really the point).
(I've looked at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment,
but it skates around this question)

Cheers,