Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Frank Facciola <fr...@sknt.com> on 2007/03/30 14:54:44 UTC

Repository on SAN

I know that you are not supposed to host the SVN repository on a network
share, like NFS or samba, and the best practice is to use local disk.

But, I was wondering if I could connect my subversion server to my
existing FC SAN fabric, and host the repository on a dedicated LUN.

Does anyone have this configuration?  Our SVN repository is
mission-critical, and is quite large it currently has over 94K
revisions, and I really want the performance, and redundancy that the
SAN offers.

The SAN LUN's appear to the host OS as local drives, so I assume that
this configuration would be valid, but before I migrate the most
important data in my organization, I would like to hear anyone else'e
thoughts or experiences.

BTW, I currently using BDB, and I'm thinking of switching to the FSFS

Thanks

Frank Facciola
Network Administration
frank.facciola@sknt.com

Sakonnet Technology
55 Fifth Avenue
13th Floor
New York NY 10003
www.sknt.com

+1 917 237 3810 direct
+1 212 343 3103 fax
+1 646 226 8534 mobile

Re: Repository on SAN

Posted by Brian Brophy <br...@email.com>.
We're doing this also.  Our configuration:
- Two Red Hat Linux hosts using Veritas cluster software in an
active/passive configuration
- 1 several hundred GB SAN (mounted on active host)
- Apache 2 using LDAP-based authentication
- mod_dav_svn and mod_authz_svn (perl script written to read group
membership from LDAP and updated authorization file for mod_authz_svn
hourly).

Re: Repository on SAN

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/30/07, Frank Facciola <fr...@sknt.com> wrote:

> I know that you are not supposed to host the SVN repository on a network
> share, like NFS or samba, and the best practice is to use local disk.
>
> But, I was wondering if I could connect my subversion server to my existing
> FC SAN fabric, and host the repository on a dedicated LUN.
>
> Does anyone have this configuration?  Our SVN repository is
> mission-critical, and is quite large it currently has over 94K revisions,
> and I really want the performance, and redundancy that the SAN offers.
>
> The SAN LUN's appear to the host OS as local drives, so I assume that this
> configuration would be valid, but before I migrate the most important data
> in my organization, I would like to hear anyone else'e thoughts or
> experiences.

I'm doing this right now. The SVN server is Win2K3 hosted inside
VMWare, and the repository resides on a SAN LUN that Windows sees as
its E drive.

My repository isn't terribly large (could dozen MB, under 300
revisions) but I've had zero trouble with it. Once my main project
cools off some, I'm going to transfer my larger repository (couple
hundred megs, 1300 revs) to that server as well.

Re: Repository on SAN

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Frank Facciola wrote:

> But, I was wondering if I could connect my subversion server to my
> existing FC SAN fabric, and host the repository on a dedicated LUN.
>
> Does anyone have this configuration?  Our SVN repository is
> mission-critical, and is quite large it currently has over 94K
> revisions, and I really want the performance, and redundancy that the
> SAN offers.

SAN is just another kind of connectivity. That the storage isn't
physically local does not mean it isn't local to the machine with a
fibre interface.

We use SVN on a SAN.

/Per Jessen, Zürich