Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> on 2011/08/30 16:58:38 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus on to recommend that the trademark permission be granted to BHV publishing GmbH

Proposed: The Apache OpenOffice.org Podling recommends to Apache
Branding that permission to use the OpenOffice.org trademark and logo
be granted to BHV publishing GmbH, Novesiastrasse 60, D-41564 Kaarst
(Germany) for their book (in preparation) "OpenOffice.org 3.3 für
Ein- und Umsteiger" [1] [2]. This  package includes a handbook
(printed and eBook) and a DVD with the OOo binaries. The OOo logo and
trademark would be used on the book cover, within the book and on the
label of the DVD. BHV has been publishing similar books for previous
versions of OOo for many years, e.g. [3].

[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8268859/OpenOfficeSkribble.jpg
[2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8268859/PI-OpenOfficeV33Pro.odt (including
ISBN code)
[3] http://www.amazon.de/dp/3826673476?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&tag=idealoversand-21

Re: [PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus on to recommend that the trademark permission be granted to BHV publishing GmbH

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.
Looks like we lazy consensus on this proposal.   I just saw some
comments on ensuring that they use the current version of the logo,
with color.

We can now hand this over, with our recommendation, to Shane as
Branding VP, for his review and approval.

-Rob

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
Same here: +1

Would be good to ensure the use of the most modern OOo logo per Eicke's
suggestion.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 03.09.2011 18:07, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On Saturday, 3 September 2011, Peter Junge<pe...@gmx.org>  wrote:

>> I'm not too familiar with SVN. Is there a way to check them in, without
> checking out the whole content of the AOOo website beforehand? That would
> certainly take ages with the connection I have in Beijing.
>
> You can checkout any subtree using the same incantation as checking out the
> trunk but with the appropriate path in the URL. It then behaves a normal.

OK, thanks. I found a directory that was not too big and fitted my
intention perfectly. An AI and an EPS version of the logo are now
available here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/www/trademark/

Re: [PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus on to recommend that the trademark permission be granted to BHV publishing GmbH

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On Saturday, 3 September 2011, Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> wrote:

> I'm not too familiar with SVN. Is there a way to check them in, without
checking out the whole content of the AOOo website beforehand? That would
certainly take ages with the connection I have in Beijing.

You can checkout any subtree using the same incantation as checking out the
trunk but with the appropriate path in the URL. It then behaves a normal.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus on to recommend that the trademark permission be granted to BHV publishing GmbH

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 31.08.2011 10:02, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Great discussions, thanks all.
>
> On 8/30/2011 8:46 PM, Peter Junge wrote:
>> Hi Eike,
>>
>> Am 31.08.2011 00:09, schrieb Eike Rathke:
>>> Hi Peter,

>>> This uses the old logo with black Open and gulls and blue Office.org
>>> (though I think I understand why), it should use the new logo instead.
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot to mention this. I already pointed BHV on this issue and
>> the final version of their package will use the current logo.
>
> Indeed, they do need to use the current versions.

They are aware of that.

>>> There should be some material at
>>> http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_brand.html but the entire
>>> openoffice.org site currently doesn't respond for me so I couldn't look
>>> it up. A fixed size version of the logo can be seen at
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/de/
>>
>> I have an SVG and a EPS version of the logo on my hard disk.
>> Unfortunately, they were never made publicly available. If someone can
>> point me on what to do with them, I would be happy to getting them
>> online. Don't know if there's any copyright issue related to it.
>
> Oracle has transferred the marks and logos to the ASF, so unless there's
> some reason that the original author didn't intend for the logo to be
> used for the project, then I suggest finding a suitable place in SVN
> (perhaps on the website), and just checking them in.

I'm not too familiar with SVN. Is there a way to check them in, without
checking out the whole content of the AOOo website beforehand? That
would certainly take ages with the connection I have in Beijing.

Peter

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Great discussions, thanks all.

On 8/30/2011 8:46 PM, Peter Junge wrote:
> Hi Eike,
>
> Am 31.08.2011 00:09, schrieb Eike Rathke:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> On Tuesday, 2011-08-30 22:58:38 +0800, Peter Junge wrote:
>>
>>> [1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8268859/OpenOfficeSkribble.jpg
>>
>> This uses the old logo with black Open and gulls and blue Office.org
>> (though I think I understand why), it should use the new logo instead.
>
> Sorry, I forgot to mention this. I already pointed BHV on this issue and
> the final version of their package will use the current logo.

Indeed, they do need to use the current versions.

>> There should be some material at
>> http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_brand.html but the entire
>> openoffice.org site currently doesn't respond for me so I couldn't look
>> it up. A fixed size version of the logo can be seen at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/de/
>
> I have an SVG and a EPS version of the logo on my hard disk.
> Unfortunately, they were never made publicly available. If someone can
> point me on what to do with them, I would be happy to getting them
> online. Don't know if there's any copyright issue related to it.

Oracle has transferred the marks and logos to the ASF, so unless there's
some reason that the original author didn't intend for the logo to be
used for the project, then I suggest finding a suitable place in SVN
(perhaps on the website), and just checking them in.

- Shane

Re: Symbols and Logo Artwork [Was Re: [PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus ...]

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
Am 07.09.2011 01:33, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Peter Junge wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I have an SVG and a EPS version of the logo on my hard disk. Unfortunately, they were never made publicly available. If someone can point me on what to do with them, I would be happy to getting them online. Don't know if there's any copyright issue related to it.
>
> I saw these committed, and that is great.
>
> Do you have the artwork for the blue circle symbol with the seagulls?

Only a SVG that is already in the SVN.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/content/openofficeorg/www/trademark/symbol_color.svg

Symbols and Logo Artwork [Was Re: [PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus ...]

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 30, 2011, at 5:46 PM, Peter Junge wrote:

<snip>

> I have an SVG and a EPS version of the logo on my hard disk. Unfortunately, they were never made publicly available. If someone can point me on what to do with them, I would be happy to getting them online. Don't know if there's any copyright issue related to it.

I saw these committed, and that is great.

Do you have the artwork for the blue circle symbol with the seagulls?

Regards,
Dave

Re: [PROPOSAL] Get lazy consensus on to recommend that the trademark permission be granted to BHV publishing GmbH

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
Hi Eike,

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Peter,

On Tuesday, 2011-08-30 22:58:38 +0800, Peter Junge wrote:

> [1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8268859/OpenOfficeSkribble.jpg

This uses the old logo with black Open and gulls and blue Office.org
(though I think I understand why), it should use the new logo instead.
There should be some material at
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_brand.html but the entire
openoffice.org site currently doesn't respond for me so I couldn't look
it up. A fixed size version of the logo can be seen at
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/de/

> [3] http://www.amazon.de/dp/3826673476?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&tag=idealoversand-21

It's years old, but.. this is at least as bad, it's just the outline
with all colors removed.

  Eike