Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io> on 2017/05/03 06:05:27 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-137: Enhance TopicCommand --describe to show topics marked for deletion

Since everything is whitespace delimited anyway, I don't think we should
worry about the compatibility issue. We don't guarantee this unstructured
output format. I think it is fine to say that any parser that doesn't do
something straightforward and reliable like splitting the line by
whitespace then checking the : prefixed value to determine if it is usable
is ok to break.

Long term, we should really just get more structured output formats for the
command line tools, a la https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-313.

-Ewen

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
Yes it's what I was thinking when writing this up, JSON output would
be nice. I'll be happy to have a look at it. I'm guessing that would
require another KIP ?

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.