Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com> on 2003/05/16 23:04:28 UTC

Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Calling a servlet from Perl

The easiest approach I can think of would be:

  my $req = new HTTP::Request POST =>
"http://localhost:8080/path/to/servlet";
  $req->content( "\%directory=$pwd\%args=$arguments\%" );
  my $res = $ua->request( $req );

This assumes, of course, that $pwd and $arguments are set up correctly.
You probably forgot to escape the '%', which caused Perl to interpret
the following string as the name of a hash.

You could also build the string as

  '%directory=' . $pwd . '%args=' . $arguments . '%'

(Note the single quotes.)

G. Wade

Posted by Alfred von Campe <al...@turboworx.com>.
The problems wasn't with the % at all.  It was me not knowing how
to use the libwww-perl library and a typo on my part.  I know this
is off topic, but I want to provide the solution I used so that the
next person who asks this same question can find the answers in the
archive.

Here is a simplified version of my Perl script:

    # Create user agent object
    use LWP::UserAgent;
    my $ua = new LWP::UserAgent;

    # Create a request
    $command = sprintf("%%directory=$ENV{PWD}%%args=%s%%", join(" ", @ARGV));
    my $req = new HTTP::Request POST => "http://server:8080/path/to/servlet";
    $req->content($command);

    # Pass request to the user agent and get a response back
    my $res = $ua->request($req);

    if ($res->is_success)
    {
       print "It worked!\n";
    }
    else
    {
      print "Try again\n";
    }

I actually had this working a lot earlier than I realized.  The problem
was that I was calling the wrong servlet (we have two very similarly named
servlets, and I cut & pasted the wrong one into my Perl code).  Thanks for
all those who helped (especially for supplying the $req->content() method).

Alfred

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <wa...@abbnm.com>.