Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2019/06/10 14:53:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] What versions should be mentioned in CHANGES.md/RELEASENOTES.md per release?

I was under the impression that our CHANGES.md was a list of all changes
since the beginning of time but branch-2.2 only has 2.2.0 changes and
Guanghao points out that hbase-2.1 releases have CHANGES only since 2.1.0
(I'm RM on branch-2.1).

I see Sean say in another thread says

  "Historically that has meant "all the maintenance releases in this minor
release".

(Andrew thinks we should not bundle CHANGES.md/RELEASENOTES.md but just
point elsewhere and/or to JIRA).

What do folks think? I think these docs should have all changes in them;
i.e. that branch-2.1 is doing it wrong?

Re: [DISCUSS] What versions should be mentioned in CHANGES.md/RELEASENOTES.md per release?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:51 AM Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> > have the foot of CHANGES and RELEASENOTES point to hosted, next older
> RELEASENOTES/CHANGES hosted in our release dir
>
> +1

I opened HBASE-22573 to implement the above. Will give it a go...

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
Would need to be

https://archive.apache.org/dist/hbase/

in order to make sure the release would be present.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> have the foot of CHANGES and RELEASENOTES point to hosted, next older
RELEASENOTES/CHANGES hosted in our release dir

+1

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> HBASE-21935 tries to automate the generation of RELEASENOTES.md and
> CHANGES.md. It has yetus interpolates those that made the current RC (if
> new RC, it scrubs the old and regenerates them). It is trying to make the
> upkeep of RELEASENOTES and CHANGES painless.
>
> Could do a version of what Duo (and Andy) suggest and have the foot of
> CHANGES and RELEASENOTES point to hosted, next older RELEASENOTES/CHANGES
> hosted in our release dir? (Or to JIRA).

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 8:11 PM Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > No it is just the way it’s been done on branch-1 and going back to 0.x,
> > long before Yetus was a thing. The practice of using Yetus for change
> logs
> > in 2.x releases is an improvement for sure.

> > > Do we have any document about this?
> > >
> > > Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com> 于2019年6月11日周二 上午10:44写道:

> the
> for
> the

> > yetus

> > contains
> > the

> > the

> objects
> thrift
> be
> > if

> information
> prior

> seem
> notice

> changes
> > since

> this

> but

> in

Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: [DISCUSS] What versions should be mentioned in CHANGES.md/RELEASENOTES.md per release?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guanghao Zhang <zg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 9:08 AM Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> ...How big would a Yetus generated release notes file be if it includes
> changes all the way back to HBASE-1?

RELEASENOTES.md in branch-2.0 is almost 500k.
CHANGES.md is coming up on a megabyte.

HBase 2.0 branch has the yetus generated stuff for each minor release since
2.0.0. The tail of the CHANGES.md has 1.0.0 release notes and older
(02/20/2015); i.e. 1.0.0 changes + all that made 2.0.0.

RELEASENOTES.md is new to 2.0.0.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
1.5.0 will continue the practice. The change log there is based on the 1.4.9 one and contains everyone later than 1.4.9 or new to 1.5.0.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Agree with Duo. I think changes in that minor release line are the most
meaningful to users without being too much of a burden for devs.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.