Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Santiago Acosta <sa...@intermodaltelematics.com> on 2021/03/11 16:16:35 UTC

A failed InvokeScriptedProcessor has locked me out of my process group

Hi all,

[Nifi-1.10.0]

I added an InvokeScriptedProcessor to my Process Group. When I added the
groovy script as the body to the processor, the frontend kicked me out with
a generic error message and a link to nifi-home.

I can navigate to home and to other PGs but every time I try to get into my
PG, I get the same generic error message: An unexpected error has occurred.
Please check the logs for additional details

I went hunting into the logs and I found the following

2021-03-11 14:21:50,898 ERROR [Validate Components Thread-1]
o.a.n.p.script.InvokeScriptedProcessor
InvokeScriptedProcessor[id=20352751-317b-16e1-4831-8022edecab6c] Unable to
validate the script Processor: java.lang.RuntimeException: java
.lang.NullPointerException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.invokeImplSafe(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:382)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.access$200(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:94)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl$4.invoke(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:423)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy119.validate(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.nifi.processors.script.InvokeScriptedProcessor.customValidate(InvokeScriptedProcessor.java:491)
        at
org.apache.nifi.components.AbstractConfigurableComponent.validate(AbstractConfigurableComponent.java:128)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.AbstractComponentNode.computeValidationErrors(AbstractComponentNode.java:602)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.computeValidationErrors(StandardProcessorNode.java:1057)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.AbstractComponentNode.performValidation(AbstractComponentNode.java:569)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.AbstractComponentNode.performValidation(AbstractComponentNode.java:583)
        at
org.apache.nifi.components.validation.StandardValidationTrigger.trigger(StandardValidationTrigger.java:52)
        at
org.apache.nifi.components.validation.StandardValidationTrigger.lambda$triggerAsync$0(StandardValidationTrigger.java:45)
        at org.apache.nifi.engine.FlowEngine$2.run(FlowEngine.java:110)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
        at
java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at
org.apache.nifi.components.AbstractConfigurableComponent.validate(AbstractConfigurableComponent.java:90)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1079.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:104)
        at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:326)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1217)
        at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1041)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokePogoMethod(InvokerHelper.java:1011)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.InvokerHelper.invokeMethod(InvokerHelper.java:994)
        at
org.codehaus.groovy.jsr223.GroovyScriptEngineImpl.invokeImplSafe(GroovyScriptEngineImpl.java:377)
        ... 19 common frames omitted
2021-03-11 14:21:50,899 ERROR [Validate Components Thread-1]
o.a.n.controller.StandardProcessorNode Failed to perform validation
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to
org.apache.nifi.processor.Relationship
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.getUndefinedRelationships(StandardProcessorNode.java:992)
        at
org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.computeValidationErrors(StandardProcessorNode.java:1064)
[...]

After a that, the following error repeated constantly

2021-03-11 14:22:16,018 ERROR [Validate Components Thread-2]
o.a.n.controller.StandardProcessorNode Failed to perform validation
java.lang.ClassCastException: null

I disabled the entire PG to see if I could navigate inside and delete the
processor but still shows the same error. There is nothing being recorded
in the log regarding the error.

I have tried using CURL to see if I can manually delete the processor but I
cannot retrieve it. The response is the generic error message (also,
nothing is showing in the logs).

curl -X GET http://127.0.0.1:8080/nifi-api/processors/the-uuid

I cannot run a DELETE because I do not have the revision number (and I
don't know how to get it other than the previous get request).

I also tried to generate a template of the PG so that I could manually edit
the XML and remove all references to the processor but I am getting the
same error message.

*Does anyone know which other avenues I have to get rid of the processor?*

I have found in NiFi version 1.13.1 that ticket NIFI-8266
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-8266> seems to be related. I am
afraid that if I shut down the service, I will not be able to get it back
online, however, I am willing to upgrade *as a last resort*. If upgrading
were necessary, can I jump from 1.10.0 straight into 1.13.1?

--
Best regards,
*Santiago*

Re: A failed InvokeScriptedProcessor has locked me out of my process group

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Santiago,

OK great, i’m glad you were able to get it working. So I think the issue is that the script, when the getRelationships() method is called, should return a Set<Relationship> but appears to return a Set<ArrayList> - probably a Set<ArrayList<Relationship>>.
But the Objects that are in that Set are not of type Relationship - they are of type ArrayList.

So that’s causing Validation to fail. I think the validation is unrelated, but that same problem was causing failures elsewhere also.

So when you disabled and restarted, the processor will have not parsed the script so it’s only returning the relationships it knows about, so it’s working.

Hope this helps to clarify what’s happening!

Thanks
-Mark

On Mar 11, 2021, at 1:55 PM, Santiago Acosta <sa...@intermodaltelematics.com>> wrote:

I was successfull in recreating my experimental setup and the issue. With what you told me about disabled processors, I understand know that a service restart would be unhindered by the misbehaving processor. The restart was successful and the restart on my original experimental setup was also successful. I could then access the PG and delete the InvokeScriptedProcessor.

If anyone ever comes across this issue, keep in mind that it may have only worked because I was able to disable the entire PG (including the misbehaving one). I believe that the error only propagated to the point where my Parameter Context was defined as this processor was nested 2 or 3 levels deep. A diagram will help:

NiFi Flow [still accessible]
  / PG (that defines a PContext1) [cannot access]
    / PG 1 (with PC1)
      / PG 2 (with PC1)
        / InvokeScriptedProcessor (misbehaving)

I could still access any other PG from the root PG. I don't know if this is relevant but it was part of my setup.

Thank you Mark.

Posted by Santiago Acosta <sa...@intermodaltelematics.com>.
Hi Mark,

I am seeing this error in the user log when trying to access the PG:

---------------------
2021-03-11 16:37:44,758 INFO [NiFi Web Server-17664]
org.apache.nifi.web.filter.RequestLogger Attempting request for (anonymous)
GET http://....../nifi-api/flow/cluster/summary (source ip: 127.0.0.1)
2021-03-11 16:37:45,635 ERROR [NiFi Web Server-17663]
o.a.nifi.web.api.config.ThrowableMapper An unexpected error has occurred:
java.lang.ClassCastException. Returning Internal Server Error response.
java.lang.ClassCastException: null
--------------------

I have also confirmed that I cannot use api endpoint
/nifi-api/process-groups/the-id/process-groups. It also replies with the
generic error.

I used some shell magic and discovered that the revision number is 5 but
the deletion operation returned: An unexpected error has occurred. Please

--
Best regards,
*Santiago Acosta Arreaza*

Prisma building, 1st floor, Office 1.5
Fotógrafo José Norberto Rguez. Díaz st., 2
San Cristobal de La Laguna, SC de Tenerife
38204, Spain

+34 922 31 56 05
www.intermodaltelematics.com

Re: A failed InvokeScriptedProcessor has locked me out of my process group

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Santiago,

On Mar 11, 2021, at 11:16 AM, Santiago Acosta <sa...@intermodaltelematics.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

[Nifi-1.10.0]

I added an InvokeScriptedProcessor to my Process Group. When I added the groovy script as the body to the processor, the frontend kicked me out with a generic error message and a link to nifi-home.

I can navigate to home and to other PGs but every time I try to get into my PG, I get the same generic error message: An unexpected error has occurred. Please check the logs for additional details

I went hunting into the logs and I found the following

2021-03-11 14:21:50,898 ERROR [Validate Components Thread-1] o.a.n.p.script.InvokeScriptedProcessor InvokeScriptedProcessor[id=20352751-317b-16e1-4831-8022edecab6c] Unable to validate the script Processor: java.lang.RuntimeException: java
.lang.NullPointerException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
[...]

2021-03-11 14:22:16,018 ERROR [Validate Components Thread-2] o.a.n.controller.StandardProcessorNode Failed to perform validation