Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Vijendra Agarwal <vi...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/29 08:28:31 UTC

need help in configuring digest authentication on Traffic Server

Hi,

I am using traffic server 3.2.4 on my system. I want to configure traffic
server to have Digest Authentication. I search on the site for
configuration details but could not able to find any useful information
about it.

Can anybody please help me out to configure the digest authentication on
Traffic Server?

--
Thanks
Vij

RE: need help in configuring digest authentication on Traffic Server

Posted by "Williamson, Brad" <Br...@disney.com>.
Authentication should really only come into play when ATS is being used as a FORWARD proxy for users surfing OUT through it. You describe a reverse proxy scenario where users are authenticated coming in to your servers, and this is not really the right way to do it.

I don't think ATS has authentication for regular forward proxy mode either, but the bottom line is that the authentication needs to be happening at a web server layer, not a proxy. If you insist on having authentication at the load balancer layer, you should consider using Apache httpd in reverse proxy mode, then you can add htdigest or whatever to that server.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
On 30 May 2013, at 11:55, Reindl Harald wrote:

> i still refuse to understand why this is any proxy servers job
> setup authentication on the origin server and you are done

It's the job of whatever agent you want to do it.  That could be
an origin, or a proxy, or a multi-player system like OpenID.

I haven't actually looked at digest authn with trafficserver.
If I needed it I'd look at existing capabilities and google,
and write a plugin if I failed to find it.

--
Nick Kew

Re: need help in configuring digest authentication on Traffic Server

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.
On 30 May 2013, at 15:04, Williamson, Brad wrote:

> This is not a function that ATS can, or should, perform.

Nonsense.  From a client point of view, a reverse proxy is serving as
an origin server, and may be one of many components.  It's
entirely reasonable for it to run any origin functions you choose
to configure, whether that be authentication, content aggregation
(e.g. ESI), firewall (e.g. Ironbee), or anything else.

> You need to set up shared authentication on the back end servers.

A good way to do that is to delegate the task to a reverse proxy.

--
Nick Kew

RE: need help in configuring digest authentication on Traffic Server

Posted by "Williamson, Brad" <Br...@disney.com>.
This is not a function that ATS can, or should, perform.

You need to set up shared authentication on the back end servers.

My setup has more than one server for which I am doing load balancing between them using ATS. I need to authenticate the user at a single place which is at ATS. As there is a configuration setting avaialbe for SSL similary are there any configuration settings available for Digest Authentication?

Thanks
Vijendra.

Posted by Conan <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Vijendra Agarwal <vi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> My setup has more than one server for which I am doing load balancing
> between them using ATS. I need to authenticate the user at a single place
> which is at ATS. As there is a configuration setting avaialbe for SSL
> similary are there any configuration settings available for Digest
> Authentication?

There is a demo plugin called basic-auth which digests PROXY_AUTHORIZATION
header. Maybe you can start with it.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=trafficserver.git;a=tree;f=example/basic-auth;h=b1f5ae58e7665d6cde7577cd7ee63bf5e883e6ac;hb=HEAD

Re: need help in configuring digest authentication on Traffic Server

Posted by Vijendra Agarwal <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Posted by Vijendra Agarwal <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.