Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Weei Jye Chay <We...@daimlerchrysler.com> on 2001/12/13 10:19:28 UTC

Antwort: SOAP and WebSphere 4 -- packaging SOAP classes into

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're trying to deploy the Apache SOAP implementation or your
own SOAP service. If its your own SOAP service, try using the command line with
deployment descriptor. Works for me everytime.

On the other hand, if you're trying to depoy the SOAP implementation, here's my
story.....

I've deployed Apache SOAP to WebSphere 3.5 fp 4 some time ago, and it was a
breeze. There are just a few simple steps in deploy Apache SOAP, as far as i
can remember...

- deploy soap.war
- correction to websphere internal classpath....put xerces.jar in front
- add other necessary jars in your classpath, i.e. mail.jar, soap.jar, etc.

maybe I've missed something, but there really nothing much to it. haven't tried
websphere 4 though, but i think it should be more or less the same.

HTH.

Chay Weei Jye
DaimlerChrysler TSS

 bpendleton@edgility.com
 12/12/2001 11:26 PM
 Bitte antworten an soap-user

   An: soap-user@xml.apache.org
   Kopie:
   Thema: SOAP and WebSphere 4 -- packaging SOAP classes into EAR

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy a simple SOAP service to
WebSphere 4.0, and not having any luck.

I'm confused at the part in the instructions where
WebSphere says:

"Package the code artifact into an Enterprise Archive.
This step is a deployment packaging requirement of
WebSphere Application Server. Use the Application
Assembly Tool (AAT) to package the artifact."

All I am trying to do is to package up a single
HelloWorld class. I've written the java program,
compiled it, and I've written my Apache SOAP
deployment descriptor.

But now what? When I run the Application Assembly
Tool, it allows me to create an EAR, but then the
only things I can figure out how to put into the
ear are EJB modules, Web modules, and application
clients.

But I don't have any of those modules. I just have
a Java class file that I want to access using SOAP.

Does WebSphere want me to make a J2EE module of some
sort? What kind? What should my application.xml file
look like?

Can anybody send me some simple step-by-step
instructions for how to package up my class into
an EAR file which WebSphere will recognize?

thanks,

bryan

RE: SOAP and WebSphere 4 -- packaging SOAP classes into

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@edgility.com>.
> From: Weei Jye Chay [mailto:Weei.Jye.Chay@daimlerchrysler.com]
>
> I've deployed Apache SOAP to WebSphere 3.5 fp 4 some time
> ago, and it was a breeze.

Thanks for the reply, but WebSphere 4 appears to be pretty
dramatically different from WebSphere 3.5. WS 4 has integrated
Apache SOAP into the app server, so the SOAP deployment
descriptor is still there, but the rest is all changed.

I have tried using the command-line tools as you suggest, but
they are even less documented than the GUI tools. WebSphere 4
appears to come with two relevant command-line tools, called
SOAPEarEnabler and SEAppInstall, but there is almost no
documentation for these tools and I cannot tell if I am using
them properly or not. 'SEAppInstall -validate' reports that
my EAR is valid, and 'SEAppInstall -install' reports that it
has installed my EAR, but I cannot figure out how to confirm
this, and I cannot get my clients to contact my service.

thanks for the help, though.

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@edgility.com>.