Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by Stefan Eder <st...@ebuconnect.de> on 2007/09/18 10:29:49 UTC

onUpdate and onDelete within foreign key constraints

Hi,

DdlUtils 1.0 does not evaluate the Attributes onDelete and onUpdate
attributes within the foreign key constraints of Database.xml during SQL
generation.
Is it planned to support this in the future or does the current trunc
already support it?

I know that not all platforms support ON DELETe and/or ON UPDATE within
within foreign key constraints, i.e. Oracle supports 'ON DELETE', but
not 'ON UPDATE', but most (i.e. MySQL or PostgreSQL) do support both.
It would be very nice if this feature would be supported by DdlUtils.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: onUpdate and onDelete within foreign key constraints

Posted by Stefan Eder <st...@ebuconnect.de>.
Hi Tom,

that sounds good.
so 1.1 will support this feature in both directions, also for reverse
engineering?

I have also evaluated Hibernate and OpenJPA for the same purpose
(developing database designs in a platform independent manner) , but
Hibernate and OpenJPA are focussed on object relative persitstence and
pretty complex and unhandy.
Si I would like to go on with DdlUtils.
Good work, great stuff.
And the clear architecture would make it easy for me to implement this
functionality (forward engineering only) for my three favorite
implementations.

Any idea when 1.1 will be released?

Other wishes:
Would be nice if automatic generation of names, like for foreign keys,
would be also implemented for indexes.
Currently DDL SQL for indexes is only generated, if the  indexes have names.
And, pretty unimportant, an exception should not be thrown, if a
database has no name.
It's not principally required, to generate the SQL.

Regards,
Stefan

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.