Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Chris Gilliam <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/30 23:19:51 UTC

Log4J on Clustered Env.

Curious if anyone has any information about running Log4J in a clustered
Environment. Also, using rolling log files in a clustered environment.
Curious what will happen to the rolling logs since servers will probably not
be on the exact time as the other?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Log4J on Clustered Env.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 31/07/2008, at 7:19 AM, Chris Gilliam wrote:

> Curious if anyone has any information about running Log4J in a
> clustered
> Environment. Also, using rolling log files in a clustered environment.
> Curious what will happen to the rolling logs since servers will
> probably not
> be on the exact time as the other?

My recommendation for a clustered environment is to setup a central
log server within the rack, and use SocketAppender or JMSAppender on
each node to broadcast events.  The central log server can then setup
a SocketReceiver or JMSReceiver, and configure standard appenders
locally.  If you went down the JMS route, I'd highly recommend Apache
ActiveMQ too for a free and feature rich JMS implementation, it really
is damn good.

As part of my Apache Lab project 'Pinpoint' I'm hoping I'll be able to
provide a binary that makes this sort of thing easier (Pinpoint not
only soaks events to a central location but indexes them for searching/
reporting).

cheers,

Paul