Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2009/07/26 18:42:36 UTC

RE: Open source license that accommodates the MPL, Apache and GPL 2

Le 25-juil.-09 à 22:18, Barbara Richards a écrit :

I am wondering if anyone has experience using an open source license when
combining Apache licensed software with MPL licensed software and the MySQL
database.

The simple answer is that Apache licensed software is often combined with
MPL licensed software and the MySQL data base.  Such combined software can
then be distributed, as a aggregation, under any license that is not
inconsistent with the Apache, MPL and GPL licenses. There are many such
not-inconsistent open source licenses that are appropriate for these
collective works.

As an organization, Apache Software Foundation distributes *only* software
under the Apache license, but you can do your own combining to your heart's
content (and as your own lawyer may advise!).

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

Office: 707-478-8932   Cell: 707-478-8932

Apache Software Foundation, member and counsel (www.apache.org)

Stanford University, Instructor in Law

Author, Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual Property
Law (Prentice Hall 2004)

Le 25-juil.-09 à 22:18, Barbara Richards a écrit :

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experience using an open source license when
combining Apache licensed software with MPL licensed software and the MySQL
database.

I am trying to identify an open source license for a multilingual ontology
(beta available at http://naist.cpe.ku.ac.th/agrovoc/) being developed by
the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (www.fao.org
<http://www.fao.org/> ).

Of the 8 different pieces of software we are using, 5 of them are under the
Apache license (I am copying all of them at the end of this msg).

We have an incompatibility issue due to the combination of Apache licenses
with my SQL database (licensed with the GPL 2) and software licensed with
the MPL.

The GPL 3 does not allow for the MPL.  We could write an exception, except
that combining the MPL with mySQL makes a derivative that would then have to
be licensed under the GPL 2 since that is what My SQL is licensed on.  Since
Apache is not compatible with the GPL 2, we are now a bit stuck.

If there is someone there that could point us in the right direction we
would be very grateful.

Here is our list of software and licenses we are using.

1.      GWT - Apache License, v.2.0
(http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/terms.html)

2.      GWT incubator -  Apache License, v.2.0
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)

3.      Hibernate - LGPL v2.1 - (https://www.hibernate.org/356.html)

4.      Hibernate4gwt - Apache License, v.2.0
(http://hibernate4gwt.sourceforge.net/index_old.html)

5.      Mysql - GNU General Public License (version 2) or proprietary EULA
(http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/)

6.      Protégé - Mozilla Public License (MPL).
(http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#08.01)

7.      Apache Axis - Apache License 2.0
(http://ws.apache.org/axis/index.html)

8.      Rome  - Apache License 2.0     (https://rome.dev.java.net/)

Best regards,

Barbara

Barbara Richards
Information Architecture Consultant
Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO)
Viale delle Terme di Caracalla
00153 Rome, Italy
Telephone:
+39-06-57051