Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/03/11 17:09:02 UTC

Issue and Patch Tracking

Hi,

We have a 2.2b1 release slated for next Monday so I started looking at
Bugzilla again and I realize why I never look at it. It's a horrible
piece of software and is needlessly complicated.

For the release I would like to have a more comprehensible issue
tracking mechanism and patch tracking mechanism.

I'm not sure what state Scarab is in but if it can be used for these two
things then that would be great and that's my first choice.

If someone volunteers, by Wednesday, to setup a Scarab installation and
commits to maintaining it then I say we go for Scarab. If there are no
volunteers then I want to setup a sourceforge account to track bugs and
patches because I refuse to use Bugzilla as it's a piece of crap and I
would like something to help us keep track of patches. The SF interface
isn't great but it has a very simple interface and I find it at least
usable.I would prefer not to use SF but I'm not going to get around to
setting up permanent Scarab installation this week. Maybe we can start
with SF and move to Scarab as time permits I know that everyone is busy.

Thoughts and input welcome. The docs and site management will be taken
care of by maven but the issues and patches need a better mechanism.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Issue and Patch Tracking

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

> on 3/11/02 8:09 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
>> If someone volunteers, by Wednesday, to setup a Scarab installation and
>> commits to maintaining it then I say we go for Scarab. If there are no
>> volunteers then I want to setup a sourceforge account to track bugs and
>> patches because I refuse to use Bugzilla as it's a piece of crap and I
>> would like something to help us keep track of patches. The SF interface
>> isn't great but it has a very simple interface and I find it at least
>> usable.I would prefer not to use SF but I'm not going to get around to
>> setting up permanent Scarab installation this week. Maybe we can start
>> with SF and move to Scarab as time permits I know that everyone is busy.
>
> Strong -1 on SF. I find it even worse than Bugzilla.

So do I.  The SF tracker totally sucks.

> Please keep the bug tracking with bugzilla on nagoya. If we start
> fragmenting the Jakarta bug tracking even further, that doesn't look good
> for Jakarta.

I agree with this as well.

> I would say that the next released version of Scarab will be acceptable to
> use (it will be released in the next few days), however, I don't offer to
> set it up and maintain it. But, I will provide help for anyone who chooses
> to do so.

I'm willing to help as well, though I'd like to finish up the setup of
Eyebrowse first.

Re: Issue and Patch Tracking

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 12:34, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 3/11/02 8:09 AM, "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com> wrote:
>
> > If someone volunteers, by Wednesday, to setup a Scarab installation and
> > commits to maintaining it then I say we go for Scarab. If there are no
> > volunteers then I want to setup a sourceforge account to track bugs and
> > patches because I refuse to use Bugzilla as it's a piece of crap and I
> > would like something to help us keep track of patches. The SF interface
> > isn't great but it has a very simple interface and I find it at least
> > usable.I would prefer not to use SF but I'm not going to get around to
> > setting up permanent Scarab installation this week. Maybe we can start
> > with SF and move to Scarab as time permits I know that everyone is busy.
>
> Strong -1 on SF. I find it even worse than Bugzilla.

It's certainly not perfect, but I use it on 4 projects at sourceforge
and it is certainly easier to navigate than bugzilla. The patch
management is also nice.

> Please keep the bug tracking with bugzilla on nagoya. If we start
> fragmenting the Jakarta bug tracking even further, that doesn't look good
> for Jakarta.

Because it's not good. All I want is something that works, but I realize
the unity problem.

> I would say that the next released version of Scarab will be acceptable to
> use (it will be released in the next few days), however, I don't offer to
> set it up and maintain it. But, I will provide help for anyone who chooses
> to do so.

You're not really offering much of a solution. If no one volunteers to
setup Scarab and maintain it will you reconsider. All I want is
something that's easier and we can have that with virtually zero effort.

> -jon

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Issue and Patch Tracking

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 12:34, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> Strong -1 on SF. I find it even worse than Bugzilla.
>
> Please keep the bug tracking with bugzilla on nagoya. If we start
> fragmenting the Jakarta bug tracking even further, that doesn't look good
> for Jakarta.
>
> I would say that the next released version of Scarab will be acceptable to
> use (it will be released in the next few days), however, I don't offer to
> set it up and maintain it. But, I will provide help for anyone who chooses
> to do so.

Ok, how's this for a plan.

I will volunteer to setup Scarab and maintain it, and if by this Friday
I can get it running with your help then we'll use it. I'm just as
pressed for time as you but if we both make the effort then we can
probably get it done.

If we cannot get it running by Friday will you concede and let me set
something up at SF. I think that is a fair.

I know that Dan has been able to convince Pier to let him setup
eyebrowse on Nagoya so I asked him to see if he could persuade Pier to
let us setup Scarab on that machine. If it's going to be setup I would
prefer to do it once. Maybe Turbine can be the test for the rest of the
Jakarta projects.

I'm will to start as soon as we get a net accessible machine.

> -jon

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org