Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/05 21:23:15 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-102 - Add close with timeout for consumers

Hi all,

I would like to start the voting process for *KIP-102 - Add close with
timeout for consumers:*

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-102+-+Add+close+with+timeout+for+consumers

This KIP adds a new close method with a timeout for consumers similar to
the close method in the producer. As described in the discussion thread
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201612.mbox/%3cCAG_+N9uS5OHtHwMyai9PZ4s2J62fMiLS2UfJ8oiE9JpmyAF_Bg@mail.gmail.com%3e>,
the changes are only in the close code path and hence the impact is not too
big. The existing close() method without a timeout will use a default
timeout of 30 seconds.

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] KIP-102 - Add close with timeout for consumers

Posted by Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com>.
+1 (non-binding)
Edoardo Comar
IBM MessageHub
ecomar@uk.ibm.com
IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN

IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number
741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6
3AU

From:   Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   05/01/2017 21:23
Subject:        [VOTE] KIP-102 - Add close with timeout for consumers

<
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-dev/201612.mbox/%3cCAG_+N9uS5OHtHwMyai9PZ4s2J62fMiLS2UfJ8oiE9JpmyAF_Bg@mail.gmail.com%3e
>,
the changes are only in the close code path and hence the impact is not
too
big. The existing close() method without a timeout will use a default
timeout of 30 seconds.

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: [VOTE] KIP-102 - Add close with timeout for consumers

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Seems reasonable to me.

Ismael

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ismael,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
I totally get the reason for the different defaults. I suspect that
someone trying to learn the API will make a reasonable assumption that
consumer.close() and producer.close() will have similar behaviors. Not
sure how important this will be though - we'll find it from the
mailing list questions, as usual :)

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-102 - Add close with timeout for consumers

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hey Gwen,

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
For 0.10.2.0, this can absolutely make it in if we get the reviews done
quickly enough. The cutoff for getting a new feature in would be the
feature freeze on Jan 13 (when we generate the release branch and start
having to cherry-pick commits, so we want to limit to stabilization and
important bug fixes).

See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+Based+Release+Plan
for a more in depth explanation. I just sent out the announcement to make
sure everyone had a couple of weeks of warning.

-Ewen

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

--
Gwen Shapira
Product Manager | Confluent

Re: [VOTE] KIP-102 - Add close with timeout for consumers

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.