Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com> on 2016/04/14 14:49:44 UTC

[discuss] CloudStack logging

Hi All

I think that we can all agree that CloudStack logs are very difficult to read, especially for operational staff.

I believe that the primary reason for this is that a large amount of what should be INFO level events are categorised as DEBUG.  The logging therefore must be set at DEBUG for the logs to capture these events.  By defaulting the logging to DEBUG we include a lot of detail which is counter-productive when using the logs to diagnose operational issues.

I think the situation can be greatly improved by reviewing the categorisation of logged events and where necessary re-categorise then such that INFO, WARN and ERROR logging would be sufficient for an 'operational' admin.

I think a phased approach where the default logging level remains at DEBUG while re-categorisation occurs would mean that nothing materially changes until we are happy with the categorisations. Then we can default the logging level to INFO.

Thoughts everyone?

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

Regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: [discuss] CloudStack logging

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@accelerite.com>.
Based on the namespace log level can be set. It needs to be configured in the log4j.
Check client/tomcatconf/log4j-cloud.xml.in in the source code and you will get an idea.

-Koushik

Posted by Will Stevens <ws...@cloudops.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
Is there an easy way to do that Daan, or is it a tedious task you just have
to power through?

I agree this initiative would be helpful.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [discuss] CloudStack logging

Posted by Patrick Dube <pa...@gmail.com>.
Really agree with this one. With a toolchain like ELK, it isn't as bad
because you can filter out the things you don't want, but generally
speaking, the log levels need to be reevaluated. I would also add that many
log statements would benefit from additional context, but that is a whole
different story.

Another example:
INFO [com.cloud.agent.transport.Request] (StatsCollector-3:ctx-de473a88)
not building log message for '[{}]', _cmds.length == 1

It even says "not building log message".

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
I'm all for this as well.

Training our systems folks on how to work through the logs is a pain. Focusing in on the most important items is more useful and also makes it easier to automate log fetching and categorization.

- Si

Grabbing a couple of examples - these should be debug - I can't 'do' anything with this information.

INFO  [o.a.c.f.j.i.AsyncJobManagerImpl] (AsyncJobMgr-Heartbeat-1:ctx-4119d5bc) Begin cleanup expired async-jobs
INFO  [o.a.c.f.j.i.AsyncJobManagerImpl] (AsyncJobMgr-Heartbeat-1:ctx-4119d5bc) End cleanup expired async-jobs
INFO  [c.c.h.v.r.VmwareResource] (DirectAgentCronJob-2:ctx-3209f65c) Scan hung worker VM to recycle
INFO  [c.c.h.v.r.VmwareResource] (DirectAgentCronJob-113:ctx-56d9f9f2) Scan hung worker VM to recycle

Whereas this should be WARN. I wouldn't want to lose this by switching off DEBUG

DEBUG [c.c.c.ClusterManagerImpl] (Cluster-Heartbeat-1:ctx-91226be7) Detected management node left, id:2, nodeIP:10.2.0.6
DEBUG [c.c.c.ClusterManagerImpl] (Cluster-Heartbeat-1:ctx-0bccd078) Detected management node left, id:2, nodeIP:10.2.0.6

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

Regards,

Paul Angus

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Pierre-Luc,

I have a pull request in to fix the rotating of the catalina.out logs - I'll check what it's status is.

And yes, being able to view VR, CPVM and SSVM logs from mgmt. server would be awesome.  Some of our clients have 1000s of VRs so, some real thought needs to go into it...

Kind regards,

Paul Angus

Regards,

Paul Angus