Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Smith, David" <da...@lucent.com> on 2000/07/05 23:18:14 UTC

De-referencing a NULL pointer in XMLString::copyNString()

I can crash 1.2 DOMPrint in a call to  XMLString::copyNString with :-

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<LAYOUT>
<SEGMENT name="">
</SEGMENT>
</LAYOUT>
(this is a much simplified version of the file that is causing me problems)

What appears to be happening is that it is de-referencing the source
pointer, when that pointer in NULL.  I don't have a fix to offer for this as
it is not clear to me whether users of this method (and the other methods in
XMLString) should not pass it a NULL pointer, or should XMLString sanity
check the parameters it is passed.  Ideas anyone?

Regards,
Dave

Re: De-referencing a NULL pointer in XMLString::copyNString()

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
De-referencing a NULL pointer in XMLString::copyNString()You have to check it, it does not check for a null. You can pass an empty string, but not a null pointer.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"You young, and you gotcha health. Whatchoo wanna job fer?"