Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2000/06/25 00:28:09 UTC

Land a Man on the Moon

There are some who say that without JFK's push to, "before this decade
is out, land a man on the moon" that it's unlikely that NASA would have
ever achieved this goal. Past history shows that we also seem to
work better when we have a clear goal in mind.

At ApacheCon 2000, we had the goal of getting 2.0a1 out, and by the
work and dedication of various people, it happened. It appears
to me, that setting a goal to have 2.0 (no alpha, no beta, plain
old 2.0) for ApacheCon 2000 Europe is within our grasp. This means
a beta soon...

Who says yes? Who says no?

                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"

Re: Land a Man on the Moon

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > Who says yes? Who says no?
>
> I'm in *general* agreement, though personally I prefer something like this:
>
> . release a 2.0 "release candidate" at the beginning of AC2K-E
> . take every opportunity to evangelize the release candidate among
>   the attendees in hopes of getting a higher level of deployment than
>   achieved with the betas (hopefully on more production servers)
> . release 2.0 a month or so later
>
> Nothing can ever be perfect, but we might be able to squeeze a few
> more bugs out this way, lowering the risk of a bad rep for 2.0.  A bad
> rep can mean a big slowdown in deployment.

Set our goals high, and don't be afraid to fail at them.  Set the goal at
"releasing the official 2.0 at AC Europe", if we miss so what.  Apache
hasn't historically done release candidates.  Those are our betas.  As we
get close to actually releasing the code, we roll a tarball and just
release it.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Land a Man on the Moon

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@ibm.net>.
> From: Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:28:09 -0400 (EDT)
>
> At ApacheCon 2000, we had the goal of getting 2.0a1 out, and by the
> work and dedication of various people, it happened. It appears
> to me, that setting a goal to have 2.0 (no alpha, no beta, plain
> old 2.0) for ApacheCon 2000 Europe is within our grasp. This means
> a beta soon...
>
> Who says yes? Who says no?

I'm in *general* agreement, though personally I prefer something like this:

. release a 2.0 "release candidate" at the beginning of AC2K-E
. take every opportunity to evangelize the release candidate among
  the attendees in hopes of getting a higher level of deployment than
  achieved with the betas (hopefully on more production servers)
. release 2.0 a month or so later

Nothing can ever be perfect, but we might be able to squeeze a few
more bugs out this way, lowering the risk of a bad rep for 2.0.  A bad
rep can mean a big slowdown in deployment.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@valueclick.com>.
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:

[...]
> old 2.0) for ApacheCon 2000 Europe is within our grasp. This means
> a beta soon...

I can volunteer to do some of the releases again if it's wanted.

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>
more than 70M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>

Re: Land a Man on the Moon

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> There are some who say that without JFK's push to, "before this decade
> is out, land a man on the moon" that it's unlikely that NASA would have
> ever achieved this goal. Past history shows that we also seem to
> work better when we have a clear goal in mind.
>
> At ApacheCon 2000, we had the goal of getting 2.0a1 out, and by the
> work and dedication of various people, it happened. It appears
> to me, that setting a goal to have 2.0 (no alpha, no beta, plain
> old 2.0) for ApacheCon 2000 Europe is within our grasp. This means
> a beta soon...
>
> Who says yes? Who says no?

++++++1.  This has been my goal since we released a1 at ApacheCon.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131