Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Pavlo Shchelokovskyy <sh...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/05 00:30:28 UTC

svn+http through a ssh tunnel on Vista

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is a right place to ask this question, but I have
the following problem with svn on Vista:

I need to access my svn repository which is on the intranet of my
organization, and the only way in is ssh login server. svn is run on
Apache with my repository being http://svn-server/svn/my-repo. When I
try to make a local tunnel with ssh to pass svn traffic to svn server
I go like this:

user>ssh ssh-login-server -L 8888:svn-server:80
and then when trying to access svn the following error occurs:
user>svn ls http://localhost:8888/svn/my-repo
svn: OPTIONS of 'http://localhost:8888/svn/my-repo': could not connect
to server (http://localhost:8888)

the dumbest thing is that this problem happens only on Vista, since I
tried it already exactly like above on XP and Linux and it works fine
there. I've found some hints that complete localhost thing is somehow
messed up in Vista...

Any help would be really appreciated,
Pavlo Shchelokovskyy.

RE: Default server based properties

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
You can use auto-props. But that is a client side feature not a server
side. I think the best practice is to use auto-props on the client and
use a pre-commit script on the server to ensure correct properties
exist. Your devs will be annoyed with the message that they will
eventually set up their autoprops.

BOb

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 10:49, Dieter Oberkofler
<do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Understood, but is there any way to force setting preferences instead of
> just making sure that they are already set properly?

You can't "force" a client to do anything. The best you can do is
distribute a well-written config file to set auto-props on newly-added
files. But there's no guarantee that your users won't override or edit
those auto-props.

RE: Efficient way to create a new branch from an existing working copy (SOLVED)

Posted by dieter oberkofler <do...@gmail.com>.
Excellent!
This is just what I was looking for.
Thank you,
Dieter

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.

Posted by Giulio T <gi...@uk.linedata.com>.
> Understood, but is there any way to force setting preferences
> instead of just making sure that they are already set properly?
> Thank you,

I know it's not recommended but I do enforce the EOL.

The post commit hook check whether the committed files have the svn:eol-style property set. If it is not set or it is set to something else than LF, the post commit hooks use a WC on the server to set or change the property and then commits.

I know the user's WC becomes immediately out-of-date, but since it's just a property value I find it acceptable.

Giulio

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1 6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851    VAT Reg No 778499447

RE: Default server based properties

Posted by dieter oberkofler <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn+http through a ssh tunnel on Vista

Posted by Jan Hendrik <li...@gmail.com>.
Concerning Re: svn+http through a ssh tunnel o
Ryan Schmidt wrote on 6 Apr 2009, 4:03, at least in part:

> On Apr 5, 2009, at 10:59, Andrey Repin wrote:
>
> >> I'm not sure if this is a right place to ask this question, but I
> >> have the following problem with svn on Vista:
> >
> > This is your problem. You're running Vista.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Right. You could try to start ssh with admin rights.
> > That's only solution coming in mind. Unless you can upgrade to some
> > better OS.
>
> While we may all have our own personal opinions on the best OS to
> use, we should not imply that Subversion cannot be used effectively
> on Windows. The Subversion developers have gone to great lengths to
> make Subversion work as well as it can on every OS, including Windows.

Is Vista an OS?  From what I have heard I thought it were a
computer game with animated 3D windows flying/fading in and out,
to promote computer hardware... <GG>

JH
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     You and I are told we must choose between a left or right,
     but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right.
     There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream --
     the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order --
     or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism.
     Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives,
     those who would sacrifice freedom for security
     have embarked on this downward path. Plutarch warned,
     'The real destroyer of the liberties of the people
     is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits.'
               -- Ronald Reagan, A Time for Choosing
                                  October 27, 1964

Re: svn+http through a ssh tunnel on Vista

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 6-Apr-09, at 5:03 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2009, at 10:59, Andrey Repin wrote:
>
>>> I'm not sure if this is a right place to ask this question, but I
>>> have
>>> the following problem with svn on Vista:
>>
>> This is your problem. You're running Vista.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Right. You could try to start ssh with admin rights.
>> That's only solution coming in mind. Unless you can upgrade to some
>> better OS.
>
> While we may all have our own personal opinions on the best OS to
> use, we should not imply that Subversion cannot be used effectively
> on Windows. The Subversion developers have gone to great lengths to
> make Subversion work as well as it can on every OS, including Windows.

Vista brings its own problems to the table. It would be blinkered not
to acknowledge that and guide people to better solutions.

--T

Re: svn+http through a ssh tunnel on Vista

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Ryan Schmidt!

>>> I'm not sure if this is a right place to ask this question, but I
>>> have
>>> the following problem with svn on Vista:
>>
>> This is your problem. You're running Vista.

> [snip]

>> Right. You could try to start ssh with admin rights.
>> That's only solution coming in mind. Unless you can upgrade to some
>> better OS.

> While we may all have our own personal opinions on the best OS to
> use, we should not imply that Subversion cannot be used effectively
> on Windows. The Subversion developers have gone to great lengths to
> make Subversion work as well as it can on every OS, including Windows.

This has nothing to do with subversion itself.
It's typical side-effect of Microsoft "protection" in some non-trivial
situations, such as ssh port binding in question.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: svn+http through a ssh tunnel on Vista

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy!

Posted by Pavlo Shchelokovskyy <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
the problem solved. It all was my bad :( Although not completely.

The thing is I was trying if SVN clients are SOCKS aware (to use
dynamic port forwarding of ssh), so I've tried couple of them. It
looks like one of them (presumably SlickSVN but I am not sure)
silently imported settings from
%user%\appdata\roaming\subversion\servers file to the windows
registry. At the moment of import this file in global section had
http-proxy configured to be localhost:3000 (my port for dynamic port
forwarding) which I removed later. But nevertheless, afterwards every
windows svn client used settings from registry instead of
configuration file!

So at least I have not only myself to blame...