Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ravicv <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/21 09:07:31 UTC

Can solr index folder can be moved from one system to another?

Hi
I have requirement to index data using solr in server and move the index
folder to all clients through webservice.

Is it possible to move the index folder?
If so whether it will work in cross platfrom?(window & linux)
whether it will work in cross language?(java and dotnet(solrnet))?

Re: Can solr index folder can be moved from one system to another?

Posted by olivier sallou <ol...@gmail.com>.
The index is not directory related, there is no path information in the
index. You can create an index then move it anywhere (or merge it with an
other one).

I often do this, there is no issue.

Olivier

2012/3/22 ravicv <ra...@gmail.com>

> Hi Tomás,
>
> I can not use Solr replcation in my scenario. My requirement is to gzip the
> solr index folder and send to dotnet system through webservice.
> Then in dotnet the same index folder should be unzipped and same folder
> should be used as an index folder through solrnet .
>
> Whether my requirement is possible?
>
> Thanks
> Ravi

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)

Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438

Re: Can solr index folder can be moved from one system to another?

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
When you say "and send to dotnet system through webservice", you mean that
the client will be dotnet, but Solr is still going to be Solr, in Java,
right?

I'm sure that if you stop Solr, change the "index" directory (like if you
unzip the one you brought from the other server) and start Solr again, you
will see the new index without a problem. You could probably do some work
with cores (like creating a new core every time you need to install a new
index and then swapping cores) or do something like what the replication
code does, uncompress the gzip file in a temp directory copy the files to
the real index directory (leaving the segments_ file to the end) and the
issue a commit (see the method copyIndexFiles of the SnapPuller class)

However, before doing all this, are you sure that you can't use the regular
replication? all these is basically what the replication feature does.

Tomás

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you can use replication: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication